Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blended turning

Blended turning

Blended, meaning partially turned project and partially flat, but all of it is round. This is a project that had been in the shop for quite some time, intermittently getting work between a plethora of other projects. It is now finished and ready for delivery to my son and his wife.
    The table top, 48 inches diameter, is shop made ash veneer (about 1/8 inch thick) with the center bookmatched BLM burl and the perimeter the same, glued up over high density particle board top and bottom (no burl on the bottom). The pedestal is constructed with twelve staves and turned then fluted with a shop made router jig while still on the lathe. The legs are glued up ash as well. I made two skirts; the first one steam bent. It didn't turn out flat in the plane of the top so I laminated a second one. Sanded to 320, oil base stain with six coats water based poly. Sanded it out with 320 between coats 4 and 5. Not my favorite finish but durable for the family.
    Sorry if this does not comply with the posting rules, so please relocate if necessary.

C&C please.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's a great looking piece, and there's plenty of lathe work there to make it 'qualify' for this forum(IMO). Nicely done... I'll bet the kids love it.

Gorgeous piece of workmanship David. Yep...that's a turning all right! One big beautiful turning!!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Yep, thats a great looking piece. i just wish i could do that.

5. Just superb work........I love the combination of flat work and turned.........I really like turning, but equally like flat work and when the two can be combined in such a beautiful work as this.........well it just does not get any better.

Fine design work on this as well as the veneering. I like your pedestal base and the top is very well done.......how did you get the burl? Did you slice it off by resawing or is it a purchased veneer?

Did I say that I really like this?!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Man, that is a great looking piece you've got there! Really, really nice!

David, this is a very well done piece!! Lot of craftsmanship, great joinery, and some beautiful wood. Like Roger, I am interested in the burl veneer - looks like some very large pieces. I know you enjoy BLM and it really finds a home in this table. Great work!

Wow, that's beautiful!

Wow is right! Beautiful work! Great design and I really like your combination of woods! The top looks like it might separate and allow for use of an extension. Is that the case?

You son and his wife are going to love this! Very nice work! Thanks for sharing it with us!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

David, Great looking poker table. I have the beer if you have the cards.
    I turn, therefore I am

That's a beautiful piece!! I would've loved to have seen the top finished with a varnish mix to get the ash burl to pop! I understand why you didn't though. A lot of hard meticulous work in this piece and you did a great job. If they ever get tired of it give me a call and I'll fly out for it!!!

Beautiful piece David. Really well done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

wow , what a project. Family heirloom. Great gift!

wow, great project..family heirloom. Super job!

I can only repeat what everyone else is saying. WOW!