Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rewiring a Motor for 240V

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Branson
    I worked at an Ohio Edison power plant starting in the late 70s.We used the term out of phase because if they were both the same leg your meter would read 120 volts instead of 240 leg to leg.The two hot wires alternate as return paths back to the power plant.We used to argue with the engineers all the time about the terminology.Ther power plant is still there so we must have been installing and repairing the equipment correctly.If you look at the internet site How Stuff Works and look up power grid they use the same terminology I do.I am a member of The Utility Workers Union Of America local 457.
    Like I said Bruce, it is a "hot button" for me. Yes, I accept that the term out of phase is widely used, but it still agrivates me You were at Ohio Edison when I was in Akron. I left in the summer 1979. Ohio is a good place to be FROM

I am done, I got it out of my system(until the next time.)
    Best Regards, Ken

In my case the motor on my Delta Contractor's saw specifically states that it is 1 1/2 hp at 110, and 2 hp at 220. This was hottly debated on another board when a Delta rep was responding to messages and he was able to explain how it worked, but he was adamant that on my motor it would run at 2hp wired for 220.

I rewired it, and it does seem better. I also gained the added benefit of not dimming the lights when it starts.