Thread: 6' folding rule???

6' folding rule???

I know the big box stores have a Lufkin folding rule. Are there any other sources around for these. Are the new ones any good? I have grown to hate my tapes and sometimes I need more than the 24" folding rule I have.... Thanks, John

I lost my Lufkin rule, which was my grandfather's, so it was pretty old. I bought a new one & it seems to be exactly the same as the old one. Of course, after I bought the new one, I found the old one! Have yet to use the new one.
    Dennis

Blog Entries
    My local Lowe's and Home Depot carry them. I have 2 in my shop, one that I use and a new one in case something happens to the old one.

I also have 3 tape measures in the shop that I use for framing and rough cuts.

If I'm building a cabinet, a table, a bookcase, etc., I use the stick rule. I also get the stick rule that has the slide-out extension for taking inside measurements.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Blog Entries
    And if you cut one in half, you get two 36" folding rules. They are handy around the bench and I find them to be superior to the 24" folding boxwood rules.

The marks on the 24" rules are often on the wrong side of the rule for me to read.

I also have 96" folding rule with the six inch extension. It's too bulky to carry in my shop apron.

How about a 36" steel rule?
    ENCO has some very good import rules as Starrett rules are a few dollars an inch..

If not Lufkin one of the main makers
    Last edited by Johnny Kleso; 05-04-2011 at 1:42 PM.
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

I have a Lufkin from the orange big box store. It works for me. The one thing I am really glad I got was the sliding extension. I find it makes my inside measurements much more accurate.

Found this little gem a few weeks back. Only costs me $3. I would like to find another.

who wants a sharp folding ruler ? I DO

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Holloway View Post
    Found this little gem a few weeks back. Only costs me $3. I would like to find another.

Matthew,

I recommend that you find a trusted rule and check the measurements on that one. I picked up three of those folding steel rules, all German-made, and found that two of the three were inaccurate.

The third one, which stayed with me when I gave the others away, can be quite helpful when I'm doing work too long for my 3 foot rule.