Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Mallee Platter

Red Mallee Platter

I got a large red mallee burl as a Christmas gift, and I've been trying to figure out what to do with it since. It's a long, skinny burl cap(nearly 3 feet long), and it's full of inclusions and worm holes. I finally got tired of staring at it, so I lopped a piece off and gave it a spin.

This piece is about 13 inches in maximum diameter, and it's around a half inch thick. It's just got a couple of coats of BLO on it at this point, but I think it'll get the full blown gloss WOP at some point.

It's not the most creative design, but I could stare at the patterns in this wood for days.

Comments, criticism, and suggestions appreciated as always. I've still got a little less than 2/3 of the cap left, so I'm looking for inspiration and ideas.
    red-mallee-platter-1.jpgred-mallee-platter-2.jpgred-mallee-platter-3.jpg

Man - that is some intense wood! Love the rich color and all the grain variations! Have to think that anything you turn with this wood is going to be amazing! Looking forward to seeing the next one!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

WOW, that is a real stunner. I especially like the way the rim is such a contasting color. I see what you mean about patterns...that's a nice piece to just sit and stare at. Can't wait to see what you do with the rest of the burl slab.

Let's see......1 for you...2 for me...does that mean I get the other two thirds? Really nice work on that, the gloss ought to really set it off.

Steve

Just 4 miles north and a touch east of Normal
    (check your maps)

Blog Entries
    Gulp! That is gorgeous.
    Have a Nice Day!

A lot going on in that piece! Red Mallee is one of the better looking of the Aussie burls, and I hear one of the harder ones as well.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

creative design be damned...this gives mom nature her due..it sure is stunning wood, and I can see why you just enjoy looking at it

Quote Originally Posted by David E Keller View Post
    It's not the most creative design, but I could stare at the patterns in this wood for days.
    And, there you go....a therapeutic woodturning!! What more could one want from a physician. Perhaps you need to rethink your specialty - much better than using it for a splint on a broken arm!

Great piece of burl, and I suspect a more elaborate form would take away the magic of the wood.

Dazzzzling!! Nicely done Keller!! I bet your wife is happy you are doing big pieces!! As I recall, she was wondering about small pieces from such a big machine

That thing is gonna look great with the WOP polish treatment!!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

That Mallee is awesome (really need to get some of that). Like several others have said, its all about the wood with Mallee. I don't know how you can mess up Mallee with any shape. My personal favorite form for it it the bowls with the very large turned down rims that are thinned. They look like burl thermoform!

Great job, and if you have too much of that...... well..... we are only across the state line (give or take!) !!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

You always hear that line about letting the wood speak. Man, this one is screaming into a megaphone!
    Last edited by Curt Fuller; 05-09-2011 at 10:16 AM.

Stunning wood and a very nice treatment, David. Well done.

Thumbs up

David, great looking piece, Red Mallee is one of my favourites. I tend to feel guilty if I dont use a bowl saver. Just chewing up all that grain pattern and dumping it on the floor doesnt sit well.

A simple form yes, but the color and grain structure more than make up for it.
    neil

The wooden Potter

That is a great piece David. Really nice color and grain. Really well done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Look Ma!!!...no foot! Nothing wrong with that form at all!!
    Last edited by Jim Burr; 05-09-2011 at 7:35 PM.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots