Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: redwood burl

Thanks folks!

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    ...Did you use a steady to turn this? I am amazed it held together, though redwood is very sweet to turn.
    No steady, no tape, and no cling... There's not enough solid wood to allow for any of that stuff. I sanded this piece with the lathe off, and I could see the whole top flexing... Fun stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    Where'd the other half go? That had to be scary doc...bet you wore your face shield! I can't imagine anything easy on this one.
    I absolutely wore a shield... I don't turn anything without one anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle Rich View Post
    neat "air" turning. I would never try this. Too scary. Glad you have gumption.
    Come on now, Michelle... This whole thing weighs about 3 ounces and was turned on a single axis. Scary is a big platter sized chunk spinning off axis like the stuff you do so well.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart View Post
    Sheesh. You just set the bar up about 1000% I think I'll turn some air today and post it...just to beat you out. I love Redwood burl. Turns easy, sands nice. Was this dusty?
    Not too bad actually. Of course, the mallee piece was done right before this and nothing would seem dusty after that. I guess you didn't notice the 'all air' piece sitting right next to this one in the photos...

Quote Originally Posted by Keith E Byrd View Post
    This is great! Can believe how much air there is - what speed do you turn a piece of air like that?
    I did this at about 850 RPMs. One other thing that I think helped me... I bought some 1/8 inch HSS cutters from Enco that I use in the ends of some of my homemade tools. That small cutting surface really cuts down on the drag and chatter when hollowing. The scariest part of this piece was the smoothing cuts with the scraper tips.

I am just in the process of getting the proper tools for doing HFs. Haven't really done any turning to speak of (a couple of small bowls to learn how the tools work), but have been reading like crazy trying to get an understanding.

Then you post a turning like this and I think, what am I getting myself into? No way can I come close to a piece like this. I tip my hat to your talent and artistic vision. Awesome piece.

3. That's a cool piece, I don't know how you held it together, I think the lightness of it would add even more interest if seen in person.

That's just fantastic. Can't even think of anything to say, but my eyes definitely bulged out when I opened your post. Well done, sir!

Wow Keller, that is just incredible! It looks like one of those ancient pots that an archaeologist would find partially buried in the remains of some long gone civilization. That is just plain beautiful! And I admire your skills a keeping it all (or what's there) intact. Again, just an absolutely beautiful piece of work!

David - nice work and a nice peice of wood. I am also amazed it held together.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author