Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which do you prefer? LN or Wenzloff Dovetail Saw?

Which do you prefer? LN or Wenzloff Dovetail Saw?

There is not much of a difference in price but wondering for those who have purchased one or the other recently, which dovetail saw would you buy? I know its a matter of what I find fits me best but to be honest, they both felt good to me when I had a chance to take a few test cuts over the years. Just looking for others experience with each. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    I have a LN DT saw and 4 of Mikes kits. I have not had the chance to handle one of Mikes handles. I have absolutlely no complaints with my LN saw, but I would have to give the wenzloff a try... one thing to consider. I know Mike has not been taking orders for a while. It seems he will be starting up again soon. It would be worth getting in touch with him to find out when the saw would be ready.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Adria Saw! Though you didn't mention it, this is a delightfully wonderful saw. OBTW, have you tried a quality old Disston backsaw, too.

I did see many suggested the Adria saw in my research here. I have never handled one but does add to the difficult decision. I do like the looks of tha bubinga handles on the adria

I wish I'd ever have tried any of them to be able to give you an opinion, but I haven't, just rehabbed old saws and a few wenzloff kits.

Sight unseen, if I had to choose, I would go with a wenzloff dovetail saw if they have folded backs. A saw with a folded back just appeals to me more than does one with a slotted back. I see a lot of posts about people bunching up LN dovetail saws, and I haven't yet seen that with MW's saws.

But that's only a few anecdotal posts and a blog entry, and not like everyone who ever gets one is bunching up the saw.

They both use the same alloy of steel. If you don't mind the handle, flip a coin. I'm partial to the wenzloff saws, but there is something to be said for being able to go get an LN saw any time you want as a stock item.

Hey David,

What is meant by bunched up? And why would the folded back style not cause this? I have the LN DT, as well as their 16" tenon saw and absolutely love them both. Lots of people say that the LN DT saw is a tough saw to start due to the 0* rake angle. But after just a little bit of practise I never have issues starting a cut, becomes second nature.

I've actually been recently cutting dovetails in some Honduras Rosewood for a jewelry box and damn isnt that stuff hard. I had to stop mid way through and sharpen the saw for my first time. Was always affraid of the day I had to do this to my LN saws. But after watching some videos like Tom Lie Nielsen's and much advise from folks like David here I was able to build the courage. I was going to start a thread thanking everyone, especially David for the encouragemnet to do it myself. Was very easy to do and produced incredible results. What was I waiting for. Thanks David.

I wouldn't worry about the durability of the LN slotted brass back -- the design been in production for quite a while, even before LN made the saws. I believe the Adria is also slotted. In any case LN really stands behind their products. The folded back is more traditional and some may find it more pleasing to the eye. The Gramercy saws that TWW sells are folded like Mike W's.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Carnevale View Post
    I did see many suggested the Adria saw in my research here. I have never handled one but does add to the difficult decision. I do like the looks of tha bubinga handles on the adria
    I have both Adria and LN and much prefer the LN (thin plate). It cuts faster (a product of the thinner plate?) and smoother and the handle is more comfortable for me.

He means the LN blades slip,I'm pretty sure. We were talking about it the other day. I THINK I saw a picture somewhere not long ago of a folded back vs. slotted back. Might have been in Fine Woodworking now that I think of it. The slotted back was slotted only about 1/4" deep,it seemed. If I were to make a slotted back,I'd slot it as deep as a folded back so it would have the same area gripping as a folded back. I never did have a backsaw come back to me from the big bunch we made for the Historic Trades. They were all folded,though.

I could be wrong,but I think epoxy is relied upon to hold the blade in the slotted back. Apparently,it doesn't always hold well enough. I'd think Loctite would be a better choice.

Some of Mike W.'s saws are folded (the ones sold at The Best Things, I think). I've never handled one of his DT saws, though I have 3 other ones he made.

I have 3 DT saws: Adria, a Freud I remade and a Gramercy. The Gramercy is my "go to" saw. It has a folded back and is a traditional style (whatever that is!).

George is right, what I mean by that is that it sounds like the plate slips and gets bent or pushed back.

I don't know why it would be any different for a bent back saw, though, you're right, just haven't heard it on a bent back saw (but I have seen old saws that were abused or hammered on the toothline or something - presumably to fix a bend).

It may just be due to LN selling more saws so more people, especially newbies, to bust them.

I have never tried either but I remember when Mike made his first few saws and I have watched his business grow..
    I think of Mike's saw more as hand made..
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

So the verdict's in::>>>>>Modern back saws, crafted by the genuine masters of today, are all good saws--with the biggest determining factor being fit, comfort, and preference--cause they're all sorta pricey!!!! I've got two good ones, a slew of rehabbed Disstons (Atkins, Simmonds, et al), yet still yearn for a LN, a Wenzloff. and a Bad Axe by Mark Harrell. Drats, this hobby is certainly getting expensive..., but oh what fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Carnevale View Post
    There is not much of a difference in price but wondering for those who have purchased one or the other recently, which dovetail saw would you buy? I know its a matter of what I find fits me best but to be honest, they both felt good to me when I had a chance to take a few test cuts over the years. Just looking for others experience with each. Thanks!
    I have both. They're both great saws with a great feel and terrific performance. Wenzloff has the edge for me though; they don't use that disgusting pink stain on their handles. ;^) ;^) ;^)

I really, really like my Gramercy dovetail saw.

I've got some small crosscut LN's. They both work very well. I agree that I dislike the color that they currently finish to. (one of my crosscuts has an older, darker handle that is much more attractive)

I've got a Wenzloff tenon saw that I got through Lee-Valley. The saw is attractive, although among my hand saws, I've been least successful with this. I haven't tried other tenon saws to learn if it is the style of saw that I'm not used to or the specifics of this saw that give me trouble. I've also seen a number of threads with people waiting for backorders, although to all other accounts, Mike is a great guy who everyone wants to see succeed. If you're in a hurry for your saw, I'd confirm availability before ordering.

To all accounts, the Veritas dovetail saws are supposed to be very functional and a great value (if sacrificing something in the traditional aesthetics)

Matt