Thread: Toy box lid

Toy box lid

I'm building a toy box for my 10 month old grandson and have a question.
    The size is 36"x22"x22" which makes the lid needed with a small overhang 38"x24".
    All the wood is 3/4 now and the lid I was planning is the same. It's a Peruvian walnut which is lighter in weight than walnut and I had a bunch on hand.
    The lid weights about 16 pounds now and I was going to use child safe hinges but wonder if he will be able to open when he get older.
    I could plane the lid down to 1/2" but I think it would not look right.
    If others have built a box this size do you use hinge lifts to counter the weight or i"m I over concerned.

There are calculations for lid support requirements based on the weight of the lid and the depth. A basic one that will give you the torsion requirement is:
    (lid depth X lid weight in pounds)/2 = Inch-pounds of support. Or use the link below. It is the same formula, it just does the work for you.
    http://www.rockler.com/basket/wizard_torsion.cfm

I've used the Rockler lid hinges on a number of chests and they really work well. Not cheap but worth the price in my opinion.

Blog Entries
    These hinges work great http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=22046 Using the calculator Ben linked to will tell you just which ones you'll need. The stop the lid from dropping on the fingers yet are relatively easy to ope.

I worry about the little fingers and that heavy lid. I ordered a pair today and will let you know. Thanks

I built a similar sized box recently and used the lid supports from Rockler. My 4 year has yet to cut her head off from the lid falling, because it doesn't really 'fall' down, it closes slowly... however I probably should have used two supports instead of the one that Rockler recommended. It's better to be safe than sorry, especially with kids. The lid supports that I used only combat gravity, not another kid slamming the lid shut on their friend.

Blog Entries
    my father made me a toy box when i was little, but its about twice as long as yours, but what he did was pad the top lid and upholster it.
    it still sits here in the den and has been used as seating over the years but more recently it is buried beneath my shipping boxes and materials.
    but anyway, padding it is something to think about. maybe put the box in a corner and mount a light on the wall so he can sit on it to read as
    he gets older?

Hi Keith,

I have built a number of toy boxes and used these rockler supports: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=410

I rate them - average (they do a fine job but after a few years show some signs of wear - dont think they will make 20 years)

For hinges, Im a big fan of piano hinges.

But around the top of the box I cut the top lip back about 1/2" as far around as I can get away with. This leaves a gap when the lid is closed, which you dont see because you are normally looking downward, but which doesnt pinch little fingers WHEN the lid slams. The lid comes to rest only on the two front corners of the box (and the piano hinge in back prevents the gap where fingers could go in back).

Its not perfect because it comes down on the corners and if the fingers are there they still get it, but often they are lifting from the center in front and having a space for fingers with the lid all the way closed has saved some owies.

I have seen plans with the front and sides cut down a inch or more and thought about doing it but I like the 1/2 inch better. That should prevent most fingers injuries unless it's a group effort. I also worried about entrapment so I wasn't going to put any latches on the front but guess a brother or friend sitting on the top can't be helped. I had two brothers that never would do that. RIGHT.
    I thought about handles for the sides to help in moving it and thought about a thick rope loop on each end unless anyone else has suggestions. I have letters for the front "Jamie's Stuff"
    Thanks for the suggestions and I'll look at the padded top.
    I'll post pictures in a few days. The sides and bottom are glued up and I'm waiting for the Rockler hinges now.
    IMG_6107-1.jpg

Blog Entries
    We have two store bought toy boxes for our small children, one with slow close hinges and one with the cut away. My kids are 4 and 6 now, old enough that I don't worry anymore, and neither has ever had a close call with either box.

For one, they're always filled to the brim with toys, so they can't ever climb in anyways. For another, we have harped on "lid safety" (along with stair safety, stranger safety, stove safety, pool safety etc. etc. etc.) from day one, so they're well trained. Combined with safety features, it's a solid system. (in other words, it's good that you worry, but I'll bet you don't need to worry too much in actuality)
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)