Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Major Honduran Mahogany Gloat

Phil,

High end flooring, worldwide. He has 5 large buildings on site. Yes, seeing that much wood is amazing.
    Last edited by Rick Gooden; 06-20-2011 at 9:52 AM.
    I do it right, cause I do it twice.

The Honduras name applies to the stuff grown in SA. It is unquestionably nice stuff and like everyone else here I envy you.

I'm with the group. You suck. And I hate your guts. Great score.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Rabbett View Post
    I doubt that, there is no mahgony exported from Honduras or any of the other Central American countries unless it is boot legged. The true maghogany species, sweitenia mahogani was practically wiped out by the boat building industry by 1980 and the tree was then protected by international agreement. Mahogany is part of the family of meliaceae that include some 15 species and has the unusual trait of cross breeding with other species. A cross breed was developed named sweitenia macrophyla, macrophylla meaning wide range of species. These were then plantation grown all over Asia and include a wide range of differing species, the wood of which is all more or less similar, especially color. They were commonly known as Phillipine mahogany
    Harvey, I agree that what we call Cuban Mahogany (S. mahagoni) is the most prized Mahogany, and I believe it was much further back that the 1980s that it became unavailable, but I'd consider also S. macrophylla (i.e. big leaf) to be a true Mahogany; plantation grown in Asia or not, it certainly isn't what's called Philippine "Mahogany" (Lauan, or Meranti=Shorea spp.) as that group of woods isn't related at all.