Thread: Laguna ceramic bandsaw guides

Laguna ceramic bandsaw guides

My bandsaw is a ten-year-old Laguna LT16HD. Like many Italian bandsaws, it came equipped with "euro-style" guides. These have rotatable steel discs for both the side guides and the thrust bearing. Within its first year or two, I upgraded the thrust bearings to true rolling bearings. Recently I heard enough positive things about the Laguna ceramic guides that I put them on the machine. I've used them for a couple months now, mostly for resaw, and I'm impressed. They give a better quality of cut than my old euro-style guides. They aren't cheap -- $280 -- but for me they're worth the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    They give a better quality of cut than my old euro-style guides. They aren't cheap -- $280 -- but for me they're worth the price.
    It would be interesting to see what "quality of cut" you could achieve with your original guides. After eight or nine additional years of setting up this saw and learning what works and what doesn't, I would bet you would impress yourself with how well the original euro guides can work. IME the any type of guide system can do an outstanding job, the main difference being ease of set-up and durability.

What did you think about the set-up and adjustment process with the Lagunas? I have Carters on my bandsaw right now, but I feel as though they're to fussy and make blade changing a pain in the keister. I also feel like Laguna's got something with the "no moving parts" thing. Are they as quiet they seem like they would be? My Carters are the loudest part of my saw.

Are these ceramic inserts replacable if they get chipped?

I have the ceramic guides on my 16.I also have a 14 inch band saw with carter bearings.I like the way the ceramic guides kinda scrap the blade and dont build up dusty oils from wood like teak.The carter bearings pick it up and it builds fast.I still remember the last time i used my 14 to cut some teak.Sounded like something bad was going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ed vitanovec View Post
    Are these ceramic inserts replacable if they get chipped?
    Yes -- you can buy replacement ceramic parts if any get damaged. These guides are wonderful - no moving parts means less long-term maintenance and they support the blade at 10 different points of contact.

Scot

I recently installed them on my 2004 Felder 540 20 inch. They fit, but just barely. The steel rod that held the original euro guides is a little short to extend the ceramic guides to the blades teeth gullets. I have not used the bandsaw with the original guides because they were gunked up when I purchased the saw. I needed to cut the blade guard to accommodate the ceramic guides - I believe this is quite common with retrofits.

I am curious if people are adjusting them according to the "dollar bill method" or just pushing the guides so they contact the blade. I used the directions with the guide and set them with a dollar on both sides of the blade.

Mine would lock the blade unless I used a paper shim. Turned out the ceramic inserts weren't parallel on them, nor was the back of the aluminum block square to the inserts. Ten minutes of truing the ceramics on a diamond stone, and 10 minutes with a fly cutter in the mill, and I could then simply slide them up against the blade and tighten the thumb screw with no issues.

I think they were quieter than the euro style guides on my Felder, and the sparks were kind of cool. If or when I replace these, I may make my own as I think I can gain some resaw height and improve the adjustability.

I'm cheap. Make my own from hardwood.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I also upgraded my 2001 LT18 to the ceramic guides with great improvement. The thrust bearing had given up freely rotating when the center of the bearing froze up. About the same time Laguna was having a promotion where you got the Resaw King blade and the ceramic guides for an attractive price. I also use the dollar bill spacing trick, but if there is no money in my pocket (never is) I just use a sheet of notebook paper. Really worhwhile purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Same here. Soaked in used motor oil.
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    I have the ceramic guides and did this anyway (had some lignum vitae scraps) so I could use small blades. Laguna now sells an expensive "cool-blocks" style insert to work with their ceramic guide mount if you want to use small blades (3/16", etc.).