Thread: Wall Art after my time spent with Nick Agar

Wall Art after my time spent with Nick Agar

After my one to one day spent with Nick Agar this piece of sycamore which was multi off centred and turned under his watchful guidance, He warned me first that you can be so engrossed what you are doing that you could accidentally move your head or arm into the off centred piece rotating with dire consequences, I know that a lot of you may not like colouring wood but I'm always trying something different and he taught me some useful techniques using air tools,percussion tools, and air brushing,although this particular piece was completed with a artist spray diffuser and dye with lathe rotating.

Attachment 204006Attachment 204016Attachment 204017Attachment 204016Attachment 204006Attachment 204017IMG_3477++.jpgIMG_3457+.JPGwall art 2.jpg
    Last edited by David Newson; 08-03-2011 at 6:48 PM.
    David

2. Really nice wall art!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Wow, that is an interesting piece! And, it looks to be large, as well. What are the dimensions?

Nice little HF situated in the middle. One other question - was the texturing done after the dye was applied?

David - - great to have you posting again!! Hope all is going well!

Really cool turning! Took a lot of planning and at least 4 different centers!! I like the colors and the shift in intensity as it pulls your eye from one side of the form to the other! I like it! Bet you had a lot of fun taking a class with Nick!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Neat looking and interesting piece. Different. What kind of tools did you use?

Very interesting! Congrats on the instruction from a fine turner... I firmly believe those opportunities pay huge dividends!

Very cool!!! I want to try one of these soon, between the ones that you and Michelle post they are really inspirational...
    Critiques on works posted are always welcome

David, I have done quite a few multi center pieces and have put some together to add depth, but so far no color added but the variety of the woods. I like the way these types of turnings come out and can change at any time the turner decides to add another center or color or carving or whatever! Nice job and a great teacher to share a day with!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

very nice, David, thanks for sharing i saw Nick do demo in Richmond 08, good stuff hands on instruction would be very beneficial, what river is that in background, or is it a sound?

Thanks for all your comments, this piece was about 12" X 12" x 2 1/4" the middle was hollowed out with kelton mini hollowing tools,the V cuts using bowl gouge, sorby texture tool and a angle grinder with sanding disc.

The extra added pictures a view from nicks workshop overlooking the river dart in March I just wish that I had a backdrop like that to my workshop, nick took picture whilst I was putting another v cut in the piece the green tape marks your tool position as that picture shows how much off centre you are working and reminds you how careful one has to be, Steve nice to be back I have not had much time for turning in the last twelve months or more in fact the course with nick was the last time I touched a lathe,I'm hoping to get more time in the near future.
    David