Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone else seen Rob Cosman's new online workshop site?

Has anyone else seen Rob Cosman's new online workshop site?

Has anyone else joined Rob Cosman's Online Hand Tool Workshop site? They've published their fifth of their twice-weekly workshops / episodes of the first project and I wondered what others think of it. I am learning a lot.

Jim
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

I have been following along. Good review for those who have taken his classes, very much looking forward to the upcoming projects. I have wanted to take his advanced class to make the round traveller's chest, which he has listed to be made in the future. I will likely try to build that along with him.
    Gary

Jim

I found out about the school by reading article about it here http://www.renaissancewoodworker.com...tool-workshop/

The school is a good concept because unlike a DVD or Saturday morning TV show if you have a question you can ask in the online forum.
    I really like that all the sessions are on file and you can go back and review them anytime you want a refresser. I am looking forward to episode 6 it should be out tonight.

Ed

How many episodes will there be in total ?

Each project will have a different number of episodes. The project is in real time so Rob does not know exactly how many episodes it will take. Best Guess is around 12 for this first one. The projects will get more complicated as time goes on. Next on the agenda will be a hall table.

Larry,

It is described as an ongoing series, with twice-weekly postings. When one project ends, another begins.

As far as long-term, have you seen his video on building piston-fit drawers, specifically the beautiful carcass he used for the class, the one where the "drawer shelves" were mounted to the uprights with through tenons rather than dados? I really like the design but trying to cut a number of tenons to support a ~16"x16" solid wood drawer shelf all tight, aligned and coplanar.. that's a techique I'd like to see in action.

Yesterday I posted a question on the site expressing an interest in a workshop showing how it was built. He replied that it's on the workshop list, but that there are a number of other projects ahead of it on the agenda so it sounds like it'll be an ongoing process of episodes.

Thanks
    Sounds like it may well be worth the $$$ to subscribe???

Quote Originally Posted by gary Zimmel View Post
    Each project will have a different number of episodes. The project is in real time so Rob does not know exactly how many episodes it will take. Best Guess is around 12 for this first one.
    Wait, so if the project takes him say 40 hours of work, there's 40 hours of video to watch ? That sounds like it could take a lot of episodes, not to mention that much of it might be the same thing over and over. Am I misunderstanding ?

I think it might be especially for the new comers to hand tools. Might take a few episodes to to make a decision, but for me I think it will be value added.

I watched the first 3 episodes. Very refreshing to see the process not scripted. Rob is taking the time to explain since ever new piece has it own personality. Could be a bit repetitive to answer to a new problem won't always be the same. Best 20.00 a month I could spend.

I've watched the first five episodes and am enjoying the ride. A complicated project, like the traveller's chest will end up being a bunch of episodes but being real time that's what it will take. I too like the unscripted format that is used. I've been to a few of Rob's course's and it really is like being there the way he explains things in detail.
    I ended up paying for a year up front which ends up being 2 bucks an episode.... Even at the 20 bucks a month it's only 2.50 a show.
    To me both are a sweet value.
    I'm looking forward to seeing Gary Benson's traveller's chest when he's done. I've seen his work and that chest will be real sweet....

I watched episodes 4 & 5 last night myself and it's good indeed. <s> Even being in real time, there were a couple of times where I stopped and backed up 20 seconds or so to make sure I really understood what was going on. Being able to watch it full-screen in hi-definition made it easy to see the details, such as the whisker left as he'd plane to the cut line. The real-time aspect also gave him the time to explain how to approach the line and how to deal with the whisker-line to end up within a few thou of the marked dimension.

I hmmmed and hawed for a few minutes trying to decide between the monthly membership or going for the year since I already had most of his videos but I can tell already I made the right choice (for me) by going annual.

Alright, you guys have convinced me....that and his "3 1/2 minute dovetail" video on YouTube. I'm in for a month, if this newbie actually finds the time to watch and follow along I'll re-up for the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Colin Mark View Post
    Wait, so if the project takes him say 40 hours of work, there's 40 hours of video to watch ? That sounds like it could take a lot of episodes, not to mention that much of it might be the same thing over and over. Am I misunderstanding ?
    I like the real time aspect. Unlike the saturday shows where you miss so much of the actual process, heck they build a complete pie safe in two thirty minute shows. I think Rob is really onto something by offering reality woodworking instruction.

Ed

Grrr... I can't seem to view the videos on my iPad... Does that site need Flash? Has anyone else viewed on an iPad or iPhone?