Thread: Shaving Stand

Shaving Stand

This is one of my "hobbies". I collect, restore and use antique razors, bowls, straight razors, strops etc.
    This is not one of my restorations. I turned and carved this piece out of Cherry. The bowl holds one of my many soaps. The Brush is held in place by a hidden magnet and the handle is filled with a 22mm Badger Silver Tip knot. The razor is circa late 1940's Gillette Super Speed, one of my favorite razor out of a large collection. I also tend to favor using straight razors picking from my collection of original as well as restored numbering around 50 or so.
    Hey, you didn't think a guy making a living with Chisels was going to use an electric razor did you? Nope,, I like playing with sharp edges. There is also something neat about getting to use something you made/restored that gives you a different connection with the piece.
    Besides,, it just looks cool, in my opinion, sitting on the counter in my bathroom along with my other brushes and bowls.
    Hope you enjoy it.

IMG_8991.JPGIMG_8987.JPGIMG_8988.JPGIMG_8989.JPGIMG_8990.JPG
    Last edited by Mark Yundt; 08-05-2011 at 10:56 AM.
    The Woodworking Studio

Awesome Job!

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Beautiful work. I think my dad had a razor like that.
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

Very nice Mark! I love the way the chrome works with the wood (cherry?) The carving on each piece also seems to flow very well from each section. The hidden magnet is very clever. Nice to know now what you do with all that spare time you have! Very cool!

Chuck

Thanks guys!
    Yeah,, having a razor like that was pretty common. Made for quite a few years and built like a tank.Still gives a GREAT SHAVE.Hundreds of blades still available for them.

I still use my Grandfathers,, then my fathers, 1906 Gillette. Got passed down as we started to shave. I love the history of what that razor has been through. I also love having a razor from the date of my birth,, and still use it as well.
    Huh,, a 1906 razor that gives me a baby butt smooth shave. Go figure, what is made today that will be around 100+ years from now and still be as good as the day it was made?
    As many say, "Just don't make 'em like they used to".

And Chuck,, it's amazing what a common drawer pull from Amerock,, and a toilet supply tube can be turned into.
    That's the Chrome. Spare time???? What's that mean?
    Last edited by Mark Yundt; 08-05-2011 at 10:48 PM.
    The Woodworking Studio