Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Retiring

One other possibility I didn't see mentioned is because you are moving to a popular vacation and winter retirement area is the possibility of having someone bring you lumber on their trips. Possibly even family when they come to visit. Might be a win win for both of you. Give them help with gas expense and you get lumber for less. Just another idea that might work unless you need large quantities. Enjoy your retirement. I don't think I could ever get the LOML to move away from the kid's and grandkids.

We make one or two trips per year to the midwest and always by truck towing a trailer. Even at 3400 miles RT at 8-12 mpg, I find it more economical than purchasing oak, walnut and maple in AZ. The trick is to haul at least 300 BF. Any less is not as cost effective.
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

I went through the same dilemma when I retired and moved to New Mexico a few years ago but finally realized that what I should build is what is native to my new home. One doesn't often find furniture here in New Mexico made from hardwood species but rather different types of local wood. Now, don't get me wrong there are some areas here with hardwood, I do have some semi local walnut but instead of paying the high price for it I decided to concentrate on mostly Ponderosa Pine, a very prominent specie and what a lot of furniture is made from. Anyway it looks more natural here and I would rather blend into the lifestyle rather than fight it. Afterall that's one of the reasons I chose this place to live.

John, congrats on the retirement.

If hardwoods are twice the price in Florida, consider this..

You buy mixed truckloads back home, or wherever you can get the best quality and price. Have it shipped to Florida. The freight will be minor on 50,000 lbs..

Then you start advertising on CL .. Sell it at a nice 33% margin, but still cheaper than everyone else in Daytona.

Of course you will need a forklift and a small warehouse. Insurance and a licence..

As business grows, you can do custom milling, sell sheet goods, maybe a small retail presence .. become a Festool dealer.. Watch out for router bits, the turns suck..

Have a great retirement ..

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    John, congrats on the retirement.

If hardwoods are twice the price in Florida, consider this..

You buy mixed truckloads back home, or wherever you can get the best quality and price. Have it shipped to Florida. The freight will be minor on 50,000 lbs..

Then you start advertising on CL .. Sell it at a nice 33% margin, but still cheaper than everyone else in Daytona.

Of course you will need a forklift and a small warehouse. Insurance and a licence..

As business grows, you can do custom milling, sell sheet goods, maybe a small retail presence .. become a Festool dealer.. Watch out for router bits, the turns suck..

Have a great retirement ..
    I think you missed the operative word... retirement. Why would he want to start a business now?

Well.. sure .. but what is he gonna do all day ?

Scrap the retail space.. just do the warehouse.. lol ..

John, welcome to the fantastic world of retirement. You're going to enjoy your new "freedom."

I live in Southern California where, like Florida, we have no "native" hardwood. Sure we do get some imports from Mexico, but they are still shipped in from a long distance. It's just the way things are. Many have given some great ideas for purchasing hardwood elsewhere and getting it back home. For, mainly because I don't do much traveling to areas with hardwoods, I've chosen just to pay the price for living where I do. My purchases are limited to what I "need" for a planned project and some "special" pieces that I find. Fortunately I have a vast number of sources within an hour or so from my home. I just found two new ones this past week. Some local sources offer the most exotic hardwoods available (with prices to match). No, it's not the best scenario, but it's what's best for me right now. Perhaps as I get more used to retirement and more involved with my woodworking I'll find other ways to purchase hardwood. Perhaps as you search the resources around you you'll find that there are more sources for good hardwood than you think there are.

I sure wish you the best in your retirement.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps