Thread: Anyone have a Grizzly tool with the new built in mobile base?

Anyone have a Grizzly tool with the new built in mobile base?

I have recently taken delivery of the G0656p 8" jointer and for the past week i have been trying to adjust the base to both level and have all 4 points resting on the ground. Seems easy but it was proving to be a challenge. When i would get it level and resting on all 4 points and then move it to a new location it would be all out of wack. Move it back to the exact same spot and again all out of wack.

I have spent about an hour each night trying to figure this out, and even picked up a concrete patch kit so i could level out some of the rough spots on the concrete floor...but still it would go out of level and worse it would no longer sit flat on all 4 points. 2 are steel wheels and 2 on the opposing end are adjustable legs.

Well i thought maybe there was something wrong with the squareness of the entire base itself.

Until i spun the wheels....*rolling eyes*...they are not even close to being round....or at least the axle is not in the center of the wheel...its off by almost a half inch...on both wheels.

I will call grizzly, but i wonder if anyone has had this problem and what is the solution? Once i put the jointer table on the base i will not be able to make these adjustments.

Just as a catching up i have had the following problems with this jointer.

1. Arrived with a large dent in the base unit due to fork lift error. ( dent pushed in and is acceptable). Contacted Grizzly and they were willing to replace, but i said that was not nessary.
    2. Defective casting and poor powder coating ( contacted Grizzly and it is being replaced)
    3. Now i have 2 steel wheels that are out of round...making the concept of using it as a mobile base impossible. ( will contact grizzly)

the out of round wheels are certainly a problem for moving the machine around but I wouldn't worry at all about level. As long as it is sitting solidly on all 4 points and not wracked (twisted) it will be fine. In 30 years I have never put a level on any of my machines. Now, some of the industrial cnc and edgebanders do need to be level.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    the out of round wheels are certainly a problem for moving the machine around but I wouldn't worry at all about level. As long as it is sitting solidly on all 4 points and not wracked (twisted) it will be fine. In 30 years I have never put a level on any of my machines. Now, some of the industrial cnc and edgebanders do need to be level.
    agreed..i was not able to keep it on all fours ( with the out of round wheel ), so i assumed it was a level thing. I also tried ordering a replacement pair of cast iron wheels, from amazon but they only have singles in stock. I'm sure grizzly will send me a pair, i just don't want to wait another week to put this thing together.

Blog Entries
    My G0490X has a similar built in mobility setup. The out of round wheels may make my solution not work for you but, the would have to have some serious deviation (and if so I would replace them). I picked my spot, leveled the machine and then marked the floor with a felt pen at each corner. As long as I return the machine to that spot, it sets just as solid as before I moved it.

You mention not wanting to wait to assemble the unit. Is the machine not on the base? I am pretty sure the mass of the machine is what "helps" my machine return to "normal" one I set it on its feet. The base on mine would probably not remain square without the machine bolted in position to prevent racking.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    My G0490X has a similar built in mobility setup. The out of round wheels may make my solution not work for you but, the would have to have some serious deviation (and if so I would replace them). I picked my spot, leveled the machine and then marked the floor with a felt pen at each corner. As long as I return the machine to that spot, it sets just as solid as before I moved it.

You mention not wanting to wait to assemble the unit. Is the machine not on the base? I am pretty sure the mass of the machine is what "helps" my machine return to "normal" one I set it on its feet. The base on mine would probably not remain square without the machine bolted in position to prevent racking.
    correct the replacement table has not arrived yet. I believe it will arrive tomorrow or Friday...so i was hoping to assemble this weekend. I took both wheels off and swapped them to see if it was the hole on the base that might have been cut wrong. One wheel is "acceptable"...one is not. I would order two wheels from amazon and have them prime shipped to me friday and not bother Grizzly with it..but it looks like i will need to call them and get a pair shipped...maybe they will over night them.

Update...i found a pair of cast iron wheels at a local hardware store and for $20 bucks i was able to get this base level and on 4 legs in about 20 minutes. I had to modify the replacement wheels a little...the sleeve was about a 1/8" too wide to fit in the gap so i was able to just grind it down to fit. Its a much better wheel than was sent from the factory so i really didn't want to wait a week and have grizzly send me another pair of out of round wheels.

Also the replacement Jointer bed came yesterday....it is equally as poorly cast as the first one, and in equally as bad condition regarding the paint...but they did sent me some replacement polar bear white..enough to paint the entire jointer if i wanted....my recommendation...get the green ( non polar bear version )...it HAS to be better than the white version.

My fear is that once i get the bed on the base that the tables will be completely tweaked or the motor wont run right...nothing about this jointer has been easy....lets hope i am in for a pleasant surprise once it is running....

stay tuned..

I have a 6" jointer with the built in base. I have no issues with it.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

as an update to this...my replacement wheels came from Grizzly yesterday, and they are more out of round than the first pair....this company might have great customer service, but they have the WORST QC ever....

Wasn't there someone on here that worked in QC for grizzly?? Crowfoot?

Tim.. lol..

Did you specify that you wanted the wheels round ? Maybe you got the wrong shipment.. there is some other guy right now saying, " Damkit they sent me round wheels again"..

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    Tim.. lol..

Did you specify that you wanted the wheels round ? Maybe you got the wrong shipment.. there is some other guy right now saying, " Damkit they sent me round wheels again"..
    LOL...i new i messed up the order...no worries though, i purchased some cast wheels ans its rolling fine...anyone want a good deal on 4 "b-stock" wheels? LOL
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 08-15-2011 at 3:54 PM.