Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New tool - how to fess up to LOML?

UH you kinda got the cart before the horse!

What I usually do is cuss and complain a lot, show the wife the really neat replacement. Get her out in the shop and show her how bad it really is, then she decides to buy it .

Did that with a really sorry hand miter once, 30 minutes of helping me and she told me to pick up the power unit on the way home from work the next night.

But Now best Fess up and take yer medicine!

Ya screwed up...if you bought a diamond a few days before you bought your tool...easy street! Now it has to be bigger AND you have to deliver on your knees!
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Been laughing at your predicament

My wife wanted to know what was so funny and I showed her the thread and read her some of the posts.

She wanted to know if there was room for a bed in your shop? You might also want to clear out a spot for a refrigerator and a hot plate. Good luck explaining this one to SWMBO. You've done it now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Just keep working on it. It'll give up and do right after a while.

Just tell her to kiss off,.............................than start begging for forgivness.

Richard

Waitwaitwait. It's a replacement part. The current fence doesn't work well, is dangerous, and is probably worn out anyway. The new one is simply a cost-effective replacement part. If the motor went out on the saw you wouldn't have to discuss the replacement, right?

It would, nevertheless, be a good idea to acknowledge the size of the purchase, tell her working with such a pleasant and accurate tool will improve the quality of your shop time, and ask her what she wants you to build next. FWIW, swapping out my Jetlock fence for a Bies was one of the best purchases I ever made.

Sneak up behind her, grab her around her waist then nibble on her ear. Then if she bucks like a bronco, just hang on till she tires out. Then take your new toy to the shop and play with it.

I like the one that I was selected to do a product review!!

I use a strategy learned from my 5 year old.

"I DID tell you about that."

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Looks like Dan is in big trouble.

Tell her that you told her about that purchase months ago and she must have forgotten the conversation. The company backordered the part and you finally got it after waiting all this time.

Mark Blumer (East Lansing, MI)

You could turn it around and just THANK her over and over again for getting you a gift that was so thoughtful, go on to tell her that you don't deserve such a thoughtful wife and you will be certain to make it up to her at HER next gift getting holiday.( I threw in TWO ideas cuz i have so much practice in this kind of thing).....

Of course she is STILL going to kill you

Be a MAN
    Stop on the way home and buy her Flowers and a box of Candy.
    It's hard for the wife to hit you if her hands are full of gifts.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

I'm glad ...

you're digging up all the good excuses. At our home near Titusville, where I'm slowly migrating all my stuff from the FL Keys, sits a new MM16 that she doesn't know about yet. We're headed up there over Memorial Day weekend so I've been doing a lot of thinking along these lines. It was delivered on my last solo visit, the timing was purely coincidental, and I left it partly dirty and greasy. Maybe I can say I bought it used and non-functional and gradually clean it up and work on it and eureka!, fire it up just before we leave for home. I'll post pictures ... of something.

Quote Originally Posted by bill walton
    you're digging up all the good excuses. At our home near Titusville, where I'm slowly migrating all my stuff from the FL Keys, sits a new MM16 that she doesn't know about yet. We're headed up there over Memorial Day weekend so I've been doing a lot of thinking along these lines. It was delivered on my last solo visit, the timing was purely coincidental, and I left it partly dirty and greasy. Maybe I can say I bought it used and non-functional and gradually clean it up and work on it and eureka!, fire it up just before we leave for home. I'll post pictures ... of something.
    I'll have to admit, the bandsaw project I recently completed was partly influenced by using the $295 sale price as being "most of the cost" of the bandsaw and I had to build a base myself. I'm not sure she would have been so supportive of me wheeling in a shiny new 18' rikon or MM16 I like the "bought it in non-working condtion" line, and in fact used JUST that line when I dragged home my PM 8" jointer...course I had the rust on the beds to proove it.

Well - I'm home. I've confessed. I've begged forgivness. Maybe it's been granted.... I did just show her this thread. She laughed at it so I think I'm safe.

Then she came across the comment of I'm a man and that's the way it's going to be. Her response was that I'm going to have a hard time stating that once she's removed my manhood! I quickly backpedled and made sure she knew it wasn't my statement. (hint to the rest of you - do not try that line with your wife!!!)

Maybe sleeping in the shop tonight isn't such a bad idea......

Actually I think I'm ok. The main trigger for this was seeing that she had ripped a small oak board that was burned really bad. That tells me that the fence wasn't parallel to the blade. That's asking for a kickback. I will measure about 5 times to make sure that the fence is parallel every time I move it. I know she doesn't and that scares me. So - a "real" fence is now here.... unfortunately it's probably going to sit in the box for the next week or more while I finish classwork that I need to do. <sigh> At least I can talk about it here with you guys.