Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: sharpening

Michael-
    for speed, you might try the Worksharp. It's a lot less messy, and can put a quick hone on a chisel or plane blade. Or, you can use it like many do for regrinding and use yr finer stones for honing. I think it's a great compliment to yr arsenal. I would advise, though, that you build a little stand next to it so you can sharpen above the table, instead of using that underside port.

I'm no moderator, but I am a little disappointed at the nitpicking going on here. The thing I've liked about SMC is the generous advice without a lot of color commentary (read, personal attacks) that I find on some forums.

prashun by stand do you mean an angled deck above so i would be grinding on the top side of the work sharp instead of the bottom?

Michael-
    Almost. It's an above 'deck', but it's flat and perfectly level with the spinning wheel. You then use a honing guide to hold the blade at the proper angle. This is nice because it lets you go back and forth between the WS and your stones.

Some people like to do the rough stuff on the WS and then use the stones to hone.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...sharp+platform

ohhh.... i see now that is a good idea i might start to work on one after i build the bench thanks prashun i would have never thought of that

the pump is now hooked up

Nice work. You are clearly on your way to sharper edges.

PJS

Quote Originally Posted by michael a nelson View Post

the pump is now hooked up
    Why did you add a pump to recirculate the water in your pond? If someone brought me the best waterstone on the planet and said, "Hey, can you help me come up with a way to make it so my waterstone doesn't work anymore", I would immediately come back with, "Well, you could run it under water the whole time so a slurry never develops." I also hope you have an easy way to dump the water out of the pond. That will turn nasty in a couple weeks time, plus it will start building up slurry...the pump had better have a very good filter on it. It's better to work out these kinks now before getting too far into your project. You really should loose that pump, though. A spray bottle is a better choice.

yes i have installed a drain plug in the bottom of the tub to drain the water every week

I am still confused by this thread.

If you have glass stone you don't need to soak them. Just spritz and go.

I would get a granite surface plate, 220 grit wet dry paper (to flatten the stone and "grind" a bevel). Even a "B" grade surface plate is flat to .0002 over a 12x18 plate. Plenty flat for the stones. Then add a 8,000 16,000 glasstone for the final edge.

Get rid of everything else and practice.

The pump seems neat but I don't see how it will help main't a sharp edge.

BCM.
    Last edited by brian c miller; 08-21-2011 at 2:56 PM.

its not really necessary for getting a sharp edge its just me toying around with the idea of having a deluxe sharpening bench and the pump isnt a new idea look at William ng's sharpening bench and i want to keep all my sharpening stuff and i plan on getting a piece of granite for the top and another piece of granite for restoring hand planes

Quote Originally Posted by michael a nelson View Post
    its not really necessary for getting a sharp edge its just me toying around with the idea of having a deluxe sharpening bench and the pump isnt a new idea look at William ng's sharpening bench and i want to keep all my sharpening stuff and i plan on getting a piece of granite for the top and another piece of granite for restoring hand planes
    Why don't you stop buying stuff, LISTEN to the advice given in the last 3 pages of this thread, and FOLLOW the advice you asked for! You don't need a "deluxe sharpening bench" to hold a stone that is lubricated with water from a 99 cent spray bottle.

PJS

peter why cant i have a little fun with the idea of having a really nice sharpening bench i love to sharpen and i want my bench to reflect that and why do you continue to read and comment on all my posts when you your self said " please use punctuation this is annoying to read without" and please quit pm'ing me its annoying if you want to say it be man enough to post it on the thread

Michael -

Neat sharpening pond. I have a number of stones that really benefit from being fed continuous water. I use a 220 grit arato (i.e. "the pink brick") and the Beston 500 grit stones for rough work, partially submerged in water. I find the stones clog easily if not very frequently washed. My Kings also cut faster with a lot of water, to continuously expose a new cutting surface and to wash away the swarf. Make sure you are able to adjust your water flow to a dribble as the stones don't typically need a large flow. In my sharpening routine, the operation that is the messiest and uses the most water, is flattening the stones with a diamond plate. I use a lot of water washing the diamond plate after use to prevent clogging. On my finish stones, I use the minimum amount of water necessary to preserve the slurry.

I forgot to add that one item that really helps my sharpening is a 15x magnifier from Lee Valley. It is quick to use for inspection, and has a built in LED light.

- David