Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Made Tools

Home Made Tools

Anybody make their own lathe tools? I need a scraper and don't want to spend a $100 on a good one so I figured I could make my own. Any suggestions on material and the process?

You can use anything from old files to lawn mower baldes, leaf springs from a old truck work also----just takes time and a good grinder
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

If you can find a machine shop that deals w/ drill rod or HSS they may be willing to sell you some. Most places I have found online that sold that size (large enough to make a tool not an insert into an Oland) wanted you to buy a lot of it. Now if you are looking to buy a carbide scraper (ie. Easy Tool) you can place it on a piece of Cold Rolled steel and use it, just grind it down to fit. If that is what you are looking for CapinEddie has 2 good videos (1 square, 1 round) on how to make one and he sells the bits cheaper than any place I have seen. That is next on my list.
    Last edited by Chris Burgess; 08-18-2011 at 8:20 AM. Reason: spelling
    Thanks,
    Chris
    C&C Always Welcome
    Hello, my name is Chris, and I am a turnaholic..............
    Hiiii Chris

Just as a note - most folks advise against using a file due to its brittle nature. Redoing the heat treat would solve that. I would think spring material would be much safer.

How about these? I have them both and spent about $50 on both. I am with John on using a file as a scraper. Unless you heat treat it, it will be extremely brittle.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LX120.html

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LX130.html
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

6. +1 on what John K. said..........I would stay away from files.........some folks use them[ not smart!] , but they are brittle and can send metal flying at speeds that will harm you! You don't want a trip to the ER where the doctor has to remove shrapnel from you, especially if it is near a main artery!!!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

You can buy Hss tool stock from http://www.use-enco.com

Take a look at this link, it may provide you with lots of ideas.

http://www.woodturningonline.com/Tur...s.php?catid=29

I've made lots of my own tools, some have worked, some have failes miserably. Each one a learing process.

I have the same 1 1/2" scraper that Bernie has. Works fine and it's hard to beat the price.
    As others have said, don't use a file. They are very brittle and shatter when they break.
    I was sad because I had no shoes,
    Then I saw a man who had no feet
    ================================
    If you do today what no one else will,
    You'll do tomorrow what no one else can

I just made one this morning, I needed a straight scraper for the bottom of lidded boxes, I used an old skew from a harbor freight set I dont use anymore and ground it down into a straight edge scraper...it works fantastic. The HF set cost me less the $20 for the whole set...this is the 3rd one I have re-ground into something else for me to use...
    Critiques on works posted are always welcome

I bought some A2 steel from McMaster Carr. Before it's heat treated, you can cut, file or grind it yourself.

The downside is you will need a pro to do the heat treating.

I got three scrapers out of a 3 foot piece that cost about $72. Part number 89915K145. 3/8" thick x 1.25 wide

The heat treating was free because I have a friend in a machine shop.

Bill

I have looked for many places that sell pre-treated hardened steel for making tools. Here is one that I found a little bit ago that I have not seen before. They sell knives for Moulder, planers etc and you can buy a piece that is 25" long and different widths and thcknesses. Hope the link is O.K.

http://www.justsaw.com/knifestock.htm

There are others out there also, you can get some O-1 tool steel in flat stock and it is pretty simple to heat treat for the everyday guy.

Good luck,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

look for a thread i posted a year or two ago. i made my own scraper the way some guys make their own hollowing tool. a peice of cold rolled steel bar with a hole in the end. then i drove a 25% cobalt 3/8x3/8 cutter that i bought on ebay, into the hole. the cobalt lasts just as long as my thompson gouge it seems, and is is sharper too i think. maybe just my opinion. but it works amazing
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

I wanted to second Bernie's comment. I have that largest Benjamin's Best scraper from PennState. It is an amazing tool. Lots of steel so very stable. Holds and edge well. When I reach for a scraper I reach for that one every time. I wanted to buy another to shape a bit differently, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Joshua

15. Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    +1 on what John K. said..........I would stay away from files.........some folks use them[ not smart!] , but they are brittle and can send metal flying at speeds that will harm you! You don't want a trip to the ER where the doctor has to remove shrapnel from you, especially if it is near a main artery!!!
    I have been using old files for 50 years to make my tools, I learned from the old school. I have never had a problem. I think you must be one that thinks, to turn, you must be a Gladiator, and the wood needs to be killed.