Thread: Marking S/S face-plates with Cermark

Marking S/S face-plates with Cermark

I have read and read the post on Cermark and Thermark I have decided to use Cermark being it sounds like more people use this and have been happy with results....
    Here are the questions...
    1. Do I need to pre-clean the plates? If so with what?
    2. I have about 400 to do so I will use my airbrush how thin I have read some go 5 - 1 others 10 - 1?
    3. What is a good setting to start with 45 watt laser? Is the recommendations on Laserbits site pretty good starting point?
    4. Do you have any Advise that would make this go easier?
    5. Price per plate ("SW. 1 Brkr. 12" average text per plate) I am being offered $4.00 per plate for single line of text $5.00 for double lines it seems to be a good number?
    Thanks for any advise.
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)

Currently working a job with single duplex, double dupex, 1-2-3 gang toggles, decor plates, and keyed. stacked 10 plates up to just expose engraved area then sprayed 50 at a time. New plates have a plastic wrap, so no cleaning is needed. Set up jig/template in Corel .. had customer send Excel spread sheet or single line text of required text and then just imported/merged into template.

Ran at 100% power 8% feed Trotec 25 watt. 15-20 sec per plate........... average 3 per minute........charged $3.50 each 1 line & $4.00 2 line . Might consider a flat set up/prep fee to cover spray/wash off time.
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

Craig,

Ferro has a good youtube video which demonstrates the correct way to spray and how thick it should be. Well worth a few minutes of watching.

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Thanks sounds like I am on the right track, Dee I will watch the video never gave that a thought
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)

As cleaning the stainless before applying the Cermark, I use De-Solv-It Contractors' Solvent. Works great.
    Bill Jermyn
    Waterloo Engraving
    Kitchener, ON
    Epilog Legend 32EX 75 Watt, Corel X3, Photograv, Wacom Intuos 3 6X8 graphics tablet