Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wall Switch or Remote For Dust Collector?

Wall Switch or Remote For Dust Collector?

Putting the finishing touches on my shop. My dust collector and air compressor sit on the other side of a wall in a different room. When I did the original wiring I put in a 220v 20A wall switch for the air compressor in the shop. Did not put in a switch for the dust collector because I figured I would buy a remote controlled switch.

Been thinking maybe I should just put in another wall switch for the dust collector. Figure I will spend more time looking for the remote when I need it rather than walking over and flipping a wall switch. Plus $5 is way better than $60 or so for a remote. It would be easy to do, just cut a hole in the plywood wall for a box a little above the 220 outlet on the other side and wire it up.

What do you folks use and what have you found to be the pros and cons.

I installed my cyclone with a wall switch. After a while I got tired of walking the twenty feet to the switch to turn the thing on. I bought a switch from Woodcraft that came with two remotes. One is tied to the tablesaw, and the other hangs from the bandsaw, which puts it within reach of the jointer-planer. So now I can turn on the DC while standing in front of whatever machine is going to be making chips. It is a much more convenient system. The switch just plugs in-line between the DC and the outlet that you now have, so it is an easy installation.

I used electronic gates that turn on the cyclone when I open them. I think I got them from Grizzly.

I have been happy with the solution.

Roger

I use a remote, ( Radio Shack) the TX is clipped to my shop apron, (ID badge clip). Always there when you need it. Along with tape measure, pencils and 6" square. Receiver powers up 120 volt control voltage, to 3 phase relay that turns on dust collector. Spare leg in relay is used to turn on bin level warning system. Have been using this set up for almost 20 years, have up graded dust collector to 3 hp Onida, still using same old remote. Tom

I had a small dust collector that just used a light switch mounted to the overhead air cleaner which is centrally located. When i bought a larger D.C. I bought a special purpose contactor from Grainger. It has a 120 volt coil. I used the old D.C. wiring to control the contactor. The contactor was cheap, around $12 plus an enclosure if I recall correctly. You could do a similar trick with wireless lamp switches available today. In fact I was looking at lamp control doodads recently and you can buy 3 way wireless switches. I've also read about people who buy remotes that control christmas lights and such and "repurpose" it in a similar way. The coil in a contactor uses very little power. I never really considered a fob setup 'cause I'd lose my backside if it weren't securely attached.

Hi, I do have a similar solution like Jamie. Works great until... i got a "little bang" in the plug that connects to the DC. On the subboard a blown fuse. Checking the plug, it turned out to be loose wiring, but the situation also blew up my remote switch that was sitting in the wall socket. Fortunately I do have 2 more that works on the same remote, so nothing to worry about. I will check what is wrong with the blown up one, otherwise I will buy me a new set of 3.
    Regardless of the mishap above, I do love my remote. While working, I always move my DC outside my little shop, to get rid of the noise and to have more working space.
    Erik
    The Netherlands

I have used all of the solutions. The switch was too far to walk to so most cuts were made without the DC turned on. I then made a wooden paddle that and a push on push off switch and ran string overhead in a basement shop. So if I needed to turn on DC I would just reach up and pull down on the string, sort of like the cable you pull on a bus when you want to get off at the next stop.
    I then purchased a remote control and clipped it on the TS and my apron, worked well but there were many times I did not remember to turn on the DC until I was into or finished with cut.
    The best solution was the one I have now. It was detailed in Fine Woodworking mag a few years ago ( issue 143 pg 66)
    and involves a coil that senses current flow and turns on my dust collector. This is all wired in the junction box in my shop. I also have a switch that bypasses the automatic turn on so that I can turn on DC to clean floor etc.

8. If, like many of us, you wear a shop apron while woodworking, then get that remote. And use whatever is needed to attach it to the neck strap of your apron -- a keyring, maybe a caribeaner. It will always be right there on your chest, ready to be turned on or off.

I use the iVac Pro sytem. This system does require line of site path between the outlet where the tool is plugged in and the outlet where the DC is plugged in. One feature that I like with this system is that you can program the DC switch to run for 5, 12, or 45 seconds after the tools stops pulling current.
    Another featuer I like is that at the "tool" outlet, you can flip a switch to turn the DC on - which is what I like to do if I am planning on several consecutive cuts and don't want the stop and start iterations with the DC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR6T52v51X0

There are many ways to do it and many threads on SMC.

You need to look at the electrical requirements of your DC, how you work, and what you want to happen. Be careful of using wall switches and cheap remotes- a switch rated for 15A usually means it is rated for 15A of resistive load- lights, heater, etc. NOT 15A of inductive load- induction motor found on DCs and most WW machines.

I analyzed how I work and how lazy I am and realized a couple of things- (1) I can't keep track of a pencil to save my life so would likely lose a small fob-type remote transmitter. (2) sometimes I want to just make a quick cut or two, or quickly jump from machine to machine- jointer to TS for ripping. In the process I would either forget or just be too lazy to turn on the DC or worse, not open or close blast gates. While it certainly is not for everyone due to cost, complexity, etc., I automated my blast gates and DC so I no longer need to think about them.

Blog Entries
    I use one of those tiny remotes from Oneida. Hang it around my neck from one of those bright red lanyards so I won't loose it.

I also use the sensor control for my DC. Added a cube timer so DC would run 10 sec after tool shut down to clear the pipes. (FWW Aug 2000)

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    I use one of those tiny remotes from Oneida. Hang it around my neck from one of those bright red lanyards so I won't loose it.
    Do you wear it around your neck when working at your machines?!?!?! Aren't you concerned about getting garroted if the lanyard gets caught.

Blog Entries
    I dont use my Oneida remotes. Just dont bother with it. As Alan said I have enough trouble with a pencil. I use the pusbuttons on the starter but my dust collector is located in my shop.

I would think a remote start/stop station is what you would do. Pretty much duplicate the pushbuttons on the front of the starter.

Not sure of the cost.

PHM

I bought the 220V remote as part of order from Oneida when I installed my system. Later when I got my Powermatic 3520B, the variable speed control would start my Oneida on its own when changing speeds sometimes since the remote used the wall wiring to transmit a radio frequency. I had to change to use a remote for 110 V power to energize hardwire signal to a magnetic 220V contactor for the dust collector and that solved the problem. There is a string of posts about 4 years ago on all the problems and solution. I do like the remote for the dust collector, and usually have it hanging on a florescent orange flagging ribbon in the middle of the shop, but can carry it to bandsaw or other tools if I want handy control.