Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: General Finishes Wood Turners Finish

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    I just ordered some from Woodcraft. It was $9.99 for a 8 oz bottle. I am going to give it a go. I received a e-mail from General Finishes after asking if they thought it would hold up on salad bowls, platters, plates, utility bowls, etc. They told me it would be pretty similar to their floor finish so that should give me a idea of toughness. They said it was resistant to chemicals, water, food acids, etc. They also said it wouldn't raise the grain. They also said you could apply 4 to 6 coats in a half hours time. If it doesn't work or hold up I think it would be great for peppermills, ornaments, mini-birdhouses, lidded boxes, etc. I can use my airbrush to apply. So hopefully it will be here in a day or two and can try it out.
    Bernie:

Looking forward to your review.

Greg

Will do Greg. Boy if this stuff works as advertised finishing is going to be a breeze. The e-mail I received from Sheryl at General Finishes says she thinks I will like it a lot not only resistant to water, food acids, etc but she says since it is a hybrid water/oil finish which penetrates the wood deeply but it still has that look and feel of a oil finish. Now that would be great and still put 6 coats on in a half hour. She also said she didn't think buffing would be necessary but some do for the extra shine.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I've tried it at the Woodcraft store on a demo pen ... very thin and used lots of coats to get the 'shine' I wanted.

I'll personally stick to using my Enduro-Var and/or High Performance for the waterbased polys.

I bought some at Woodcraft. Yesterday I turned a small aspen bowl. I applied 7 coats thru the day and it is just starting to show some shine. I am guessing that it needs at least 3 more coats. Yes, aspen is soft and any finish soaks in for the first couple of coats so few coats may be needed on a harder wood. Of note is that there is absolutely no yellowing for those that want to retain a true wood color. Sorry I am not a photographer so I can't give you pics.