Thread: Is there a fix for this?

Is there a fix for this?

I've got my General 650 TS set where the blade is parallel with the mitre slot at 90*. Using a sled or a gauge, I get excellent results with square cuts. The problem comes in when I try to do crosscut mitres(like when building a mitred box) with either sled or gauge while cutting the right edge of the stock. I haven't checked with a DI, but it looks like the back edge of teeth are burning the stock if I pass the stock all the way thru the blade. If I stop the cut before hitting the trailing teeth, I get a great square mitre cut. So far, most of my crosscut mitres are short enough to stop before exiting the blade, but I'd like to fix this problem if possible. Thanks for all the help!

Yes, there's generally a fix for this. It involves tilting the table -- either raising the front edge, or raising the rear edge, depending on how it's out of alignment. If your saw is a cabinet saw (where the saw is mounted to the cabinet), you put shims between the base and the table.

Here's a thread about doing this alignment job on a Unisaw. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...saw-adjustment Any cabinet saw should work pretty much the same way.

Thanks guys, that's an important one to know about. I'd not encountered it - nor thought of it either.

I can imagine that when shimming under the table on a saw that it'd be important to take care to support the table properly across its full width too - it'd probably not be too hard to pull it out of flat...

ian