Thread: You won't see this Fine Woodworking......

You won't see this Fine Woodworking......

But SWMBO is happy with it. She has been wanting a Compost Tumbler for her gardens for some time. This is the first project out of the shop I built last fall/winter/spring.

This is based on a plan I found in the book "The Backyard Builder", published by Rodale Press. I had to re-work/resize it to work with our wheel barrow. Wasn't to expensive to build, have about $65 of (treated) lumber and hardware in it.

GEDC0296a.JPG

The Rodale plan called for a steel drum, which rested on a ramp of 2x blocks, but I had the poly drum, and used a 2 sets of 2" casters under the drum for it's rotation - it spins really nice.

Jim

Realy, your doing great work on your project. I like your work.

Nice use of materials. The caster idea is simple and effective. Why over engineer when something easy to find and inexpensive will work.

What Craig said, about the casters. Do you need to add any kind of vanes inside the drum to mix the compost as it tumbles (break up clumps)?

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Babel View Post
    What Craig said, about the casters. Do you need to add any kind of vanes inside the drum to mix the compost as it tumbles (break up clumps)?
    I don't see them on Jim's but I've seen other versions like this with long (4 to 6 inch) carriage bolts put in with washers on both sides to help mix up the compost on other bins like this.
    One purchase helps keep HF in business, the other helps keep LV in business.
    Those two outcomes have different values for me. - Chuck Nickerson

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Babel View Post
    Carl

I put 3 pieces of 1/8" x 1 1/4" x 30" angle iron inside the drum - these act as paddles, beaters, etc to help stir the mix. I try to turn the drump 3-4x a day to mix it.

I measured the out side of the drum - was 67-68" circumfrence, so I split that distance in thirds. The angle iron was inserted into the drum via the lg bung hole.

Jim