Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Some finished pics of my attached garage workshop, built from the ground-up

15 posts and still no one thinks YOU SUCK? I'd like to go out on a limb here and get it over with. YOU SUCK
    Husband to 1, father to 9
    2 girls and 7 boys (in that order)
    Life Is Full Of Blessings
    The Lord is my Rock and my Refuge.

OK now that I got that off my chest.

Wow, I love it. And the doors rock!
    I think you pulled off an incredible build.

Thumbs up to a design well done.

beautiful shop!!

I love the look of your shop. The exterior is gorgeous the level of detail on it really makes it pop.

-Gary

Thanks for all the positive responses.

I'l take some more pics this weekend in the daylight and post them, including the underside of the arched dormer and the loft area (which is a mess). The mobile bench units are kinda neat, too.

In the mean time, and I hate asking for favors, but my garage is currrently entered in the Family Handyman magazine contest for "best in DIY projects". Awards are based on an online popular vote. If you liked my garage (and liked it better than the other contestants) I'd greatly appreciate if you could stop over at the magazine's site and place a vote for me. The link otthe contest is right on the front page. They do let you vote everyday, but I realize that's asking a lot.

I'd post a direct link to the contest, bIt I'm not sure if that's breaking the forum rules.
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that point.

This is one of the best looking shops from an architectural aspect that I have seen. I love the craftsman style with the DIY trusses. Did you have a structural engineer design the trusses for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Sherman View Post
    This is one of the best looking shops from an architectural aspect that I have seen. I love the craftsman style with the DIY trusses. Did you have a structural engineer design the trusses for you?
    I am a structural engineer.

WOW!!!!!!. Now that is an Awesome looking shop. Any idea of the final cost? That should be in a magazine in the "Worlds best shop" magazine or something. Thanks for sharing. Great job.

thanks, the shop cost me about $15k to build, soup-to-nuts. Materials weren't that expensive, I did my own electrical, and the windows were an eBay find from a Pella store display. Biggest nut was the $2k for the 8" thick concrete slab (I hate cracks), but it was worth it.

Blog Entries
    Really like the new shop Richard. Looks like a great place to work. I'm sure you'll enjoy it very much.

PHM

Great lookig shop Richard!! It really stands out with the doors and trim work, color is great also. I'll put in a vote or 2 for you, well deserved. I think you did extremely well on the cost factor also.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Ah! The hidden part of doing your own calculations!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Shaefer View Post
    If you liked my garage (and liked it better than the other contestants) I'd greatly appreciate if you could stop over at the magazine's site and place a vote for me. The link otthe contest is right on the front page. They do let you vote everyday, but I realize that's asking a lot.
    That hidden lift from one of the other contestants is pretty nice, but you've got them beat hands down. They didn't include much about your project though.

Do I have to be a member of Handyman? I couldnt see the contest.

PM me some info if you need to.
    I'd like to vote

Absolutely beautiful. Would love to see more pictures.