Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How can 6 HP motor be 120V?

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Thompson
    Why do you all get such pleasure from picking on moi? Being stupid ain't a crime - it's just inconvenient sometimes.

Michael: All electric motors, regardless of their rating, run on 120v. when all the electrons are counted. That's the reason for the multiples of 120v that we commonly see such as 240v, 480v, etc. Give me some #4 wire and about two thousand fuses and I'll get my 50 HP motor to run on 120v. If I get electrocuted in the process, you would normally be blamed. However, my doctor declared me "brain-dead" many years ago so you are off the hook.

Ken: What does 120v have to do with anything? We have to think outside of the box sometimes. I know because I LIVE in a box! Some folks would call it a cell?

Russ: "Friction brake and dynamometer" are the key here. Those refer to "brake" HP. "REAL" HP uses stuff like amps, voltage and/or resistance.
    For example, I can pull 4000 lb for a distance of 50 ft in a period of 20 sec using only about 18 "real" HP! Guess who wins if I hook my 6 HP Sears shop vac up to my 3 HP PM 66?

I'm still looking for the big Hummer to hook up to my 50HP bicycle. Of course, my bicycle will be tied to a 24" Oak tree!

Anyway, is there ANYTHING I can do to keep you bullies from picking on me?

Dale T.
    Then why are there 440V and 550V?

Single phase electric motors operate atabout 65% efficiency. 12.3A at 110V is the benchmark for 1HP. Campbell Hausfield recently lost a class action suit for overstating horsepower. The manufacturers apparently assume 100% efficiency and the number of watts being consumed when the lights go out. Stick with Amps (half for 220V).

Hp

Quote Originally Posted by mike lucas
    I'll take you up on that bet, but all I have is a 500 hp diesel truck. I also require you to meet me half way. and NO outside power source That`s the least you could do since I don't have 17 zillion hp nor do I have a Hummer
    Mike,
    HMMM?? OK, Mike, you WIN!! Since you are too timid to display your location, I can't say that I could afford the extension cord required to meet you half way anyway. Also, since you are such an obvious "cheater", I'm surprised that you haven't taken Vegas for millions and can afford numerous Hummers. I suppose that YOUR rules would consider my mini nuclear reactor to be an "outside power source". Anyway, my reactor is still "under development" and I'm not sure that I would want to be around for its first start-up. I would probably send one of my kids or grandkids.

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!