Thread: 600 Names to engrave

600 Names to engrave

OK, so I have to engrave a common logo and 600 individual names on 600 wood boxes.

I can fit 5 boxes in the engraver at a time.

What methods have you used to do a print merge job such as this please?
    Trotec 25W Laser, ShopBot PRT Alpha 48 x96 CNC, Roland Vinyl Cutter, Compucarve CNC, Ricoh GXe7700s Dye-sub printer, Hotronix Clamshell Heat Press, Pad Printing Equip, all normal woodworking and electrical tools.

I like to keep it simple. Import the list as text to CorelDraw, re-arrange as necessary so that there is one name per line, break the text apart so it is now 600 individual names and then position the first 5 to the logos as necessary. Have the required names and logos selected and hit print with "selection" ticked in the print dialogue box.
    Move the now-printing names off the sheet, line up the next 5 and repeat (119 times).

wow, is that really the easiest way to do a job like that, (not that i know a better one) just surprised as that seems long winded, on our galvo co2 we set a program that has the text size,font, laser settings and justification in it, then send it to the laser, the computer will ask us to open a text file and everytime we press the go button it will pull in the next name. If the program has 5 lines of text it will simply pull 5 lines from the text file each time. Is this a limitation of not having a software package and only having a printdriver, does anyone make a program that does a mail merge?
    L Squared Lasers UK
    2 x Halo Lasers 20 watt fiber
    1 x Halo CO2 Galvo System
    1 x Shenhui 1512 80 watt
    3 x Electrox D40
    3 x electrox Scriba 2
    1 x Electrox Scorpion 40 watt Fibre
    1 x Epilog EXT36 75 watt.

Search for carl sewell (sp) macro's there is one that will do what you want.
    Mike Mackenzie
    Sales and Service of Universal Laser Systems

I have a couple of Carl's macros and they are great. He is very reasonable. You can contact him at: csewell@hiwaay.net
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

You can use PrintMerge in Corel. It is very simple.
    Epilog Mini 24/35W, Shenhui 600x900/80W RECI, CNC WK1325, Galvo Fiber 10W

Roy Brewer has an excellent video on Print Merge on youtube.
    Bill Jermyn
    Waterloo Engraving
    Kitchener, ON
    Epilog Legend 32EX 75 Watt, Corel X3, Photograv, Wacom Intuos 3 6X8 graphics tablet

Thanks for the inputs, I will investigate each.

Matthew - may I borrow your Galvo for a few days...
    Trotec 25W Laser, ShopBot PRT Alpha 48 x96 CNC, Roland Vinyl Cutter, Compucarve CNC, Ricoh GXe7700s Dye-sub printer, Hotronix Clamshell Heat Press, Pad Printing Equip, all normal woodworking and electrical tools.