Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DNA question

DNA question

Hi all!

I have a rather large colorfill on acrylic job coming up and thought I'd try the flood/scrape and clean method. Usually I laser through the paper mask that comes on the acrylic, but these particular acrylic plaques don't come with anything on them My problem is that I don't know where to get Denatured Alcohol. Does anyone know where to get it in Canada? Is it even called that here....?....I'm not sure. Is there anything else that will work on acrylic?
    Also, what do you think would be the best paint to use? I need a shade pretty close to process blue.

Thanks in advance!!
    Epilog Helix 60 watt laser with rotary
    Epilog Legend 45 watt
    Photobrasive Sandcarver II blasting cabinet
    Ricoh GX 7000 sublimation printer
    Digital Knight 20S 16x20 heat press
    Mimaki CG-60 vinyl plotter
    corel X6
    JOTO mug press

Brie-Anne,

I would put some vinyl signmaker's transfer tape on it before burning. It's lightweight and comes off easily. Whenever I clean thin acrylic, I use rubbing alcohol which is a watered down version of DNA, easy to find and less aggressive to the plastic. It takes the smoke off quite well without crazing.

I use Testor's oil based model painting enamel (Flo-Quil) on plastic all the time and clean it off with De-Solve-it which is a waterless orange based cleaner. But, I know other people have used acrylic paints with success too (water based). Testors also make an acrylic version for model painting. I find enamel dries to a much harder finish than artist's acrylics.

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

A paint store which sells shellac will also sell dna.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

you can probably find 'methyl hydrate' in the Canadian stores. Not quite the same as the denatured
    alcohol we get here, but similar enough. Our denatured alcohol used to be mainly ethanol (distilled
    from grains .. ie moonshine) with enough wood alcohol (methanol) added to make it poisonous. This
    is because the grain alcohol was less expensive to produce than methanol. But there are many blends
    on the market. Some are about 50/50 and some are 90%+ ethanol with added benzene and toluene.
    Methyl hydrate is nasty stuff, though. It gets into your system through the skin and lungs. So wear
    good gloves and ventilate!

The terms "denatured alcohol" and "rubbing alcohol" are non-standard and vary in the alcohols and concentrations found therein. It's a bit frustrating, especially when the retail vendors often do not know what is in it themselves. We buy "methylated spirits" here but trying to find out exactly what is in it, and at what concentrations, is very difficult.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

John .. that's true. But you do have the MSDS to refer to. They usually refer to each ingredient
    as a percentage, so it isn't impossible to find out.

FWIW .. the MSDS's I've found show that most 'methylated spirits' are what we are looking
    for (but don't necessarily get!) when we buy 'denatured alcohol'. Basically, ethanol with
    about 1% denaturing additives. Often what we get has a lot of water in it.

Brie-Anne,

Where are you located? You may find this product in local marine.
    It is 90/10% mix of ethanol and additive that makes it "denatured"

http://captphab.com/HomePage.html
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

The official UK formula for methylated spirits ("fully denatured") is as follows :

90% ethanol
    9.5% methanol ("wood alcohol" or "wood naphtha")
    0.5% pyridine (this is what is supposed to make it taste bitter and so undrinkable)
    to this must be added -
    trace of mineral naphtha (from petroleum) : 3.75 litres per 1000 litres of above mixture
    trace of synthetic dye (methyl violet) : 1.5g per 1000 litres of above mixture

Is there an equivalent American standard or recipe for DNA?
    Epilog Legend 32EX 60W

Precision Prototypes, Romsey, UK

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Stone View Post
    John .. that's true. But you do have the MSDS to refer to.
    Here in Fiji, the vendors have no idea what a MSDS is! One of the joys of life on a small tropical island. Even stuff like pesticides lacks MSDSs here. A friend with a pest control business has regularly asked me to get MSDSs for him because the Fiji vendor does not have them. (We also see a LOT of Chinese stuff that would never make it into the USA. No MSDS at all.)
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

OUCH! that would be a bit scary...

My experience has been that denatured alcohol is not available in Canada. Rubbing alcohol is a similar mix of alcohol and water but also has some oils and other ingredients added to make it gentler for skin. The additives can leave residues which can be a problem, depending on your usage.
    Chinese 40 watt laser (Brightstar)
    Photoshop and Corel Draw

I use isopropyl alcohol available from any pharmacy, Walmart, etc. Not sure if it's the same stuff, though.
    Bill Jermyn
    Waterloo Engraving
    Kitchener, ON
    Epilog Legend 32EX 75 Watt, Corel X3, Photograv, Wacom Intuos 3 6X8 graphics tablet

Brie-Anne, if you absolutely need DNA you can probably get it in Canada from Anachemia. I bought it 10 years ago and I believe you can still buy it from them. Here is the MSDS.

http://www.anachemia.com/msds/english/4099.pdf

It is 85% ethanol and 14.3% methanol. But - it will be expensive, and there will be a minimum purchase order value.

They will take lots of info as they want to ensure it is being used for a legitimate purpose. Sometimes they may have "expired" reagent-grade stock that you can get at reduced price. You certainly don't need reagent grade for what you are doing but since they are a laboratory chemical supplier they don't sell much chemical with low grades of purity.

But I would still tend to exhaust all the cheaper alternatives before going this route.

Available at all state liquor stores in the lower 48. Although in Ohio - I had to complete extra paperwork. Start with you local liquor stores in Canada. Further information it and it's availability in Canada is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everclear_(alcohol) Mine cost about $15.00 USD. I only use it for lens cleaning, so it may be cost prohibitive for your use. But if you really need it....................
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Greg Bednar; 10-08-2011 at 2:59 PM.
    Life and death don't bother me. It's that little period of time in between that bothers me.

Epilog Mini-24 40w with Rotary, Flame Polisher, CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6, EngraveSoft, Windows 10 64-bit.

Hi everyone....Thanks for all your input and suggestions
    Dee...I tried to find Testor's here in Canada...(I'm in Winnipeg, MB) and I can't find it. Do you know of any other brand that would work? I will try my local artists supply store to see if they have any sort of model enamel paint. Also, I thought it wasn't good to use oil based paints on acrlyic?
    I had some oil based spray that I tried out on a scrap piece and sure enough it looked all cracked and the acrlyic started to craze around the edges
    Do people really have a good result with just artists craft paint?

Thanks!
    Epilog Helix 60 watt laser with rotary
    Epilog Legend 45 watt
    Photobrasive Sandcarver II blasting cabinet
    Ricoh GX 7000 sublimation printer
    Digital Knight 20S 16x20 heat press
    Mimaki CG-60 vinyl plotter
    corel X6
    JOTO mug press