Thread: Reed Gray's Cored Madrone

Reed Gray's Cored Madrone

In January after posting pictures of some Amrbosia Maple I had cut in my front yard, Reed Gray sent me a pm. Asked if I was interested in trading. Never one to turn down a trade, especially for something different…so two large flat rate boxes headed west. In return, I received a great chunk of Madrone and one of Myrtle. I cored both of them right away but turned the Madrone fairly thin. I finally got around to sanding out the Madrone a couple of weeks ago. It is wonderful/fascinating stuff to turn but it sands about like everything else.

The largest bowl is 11 ¼ x 4h. The most oval dried to 9 ¼ x 8 in width. There are a few marks from the heel of my gouge, some stains from the stretch wrap, a few screw holes from the faceplate, and one had to be stitched up with some copper wire, but they are good enough for whose kitchen they are going to be in. I was fortunate enough to meet Reed in Saint Paul at the AAW and thank him for the wood BUT... thanks again Reed for some neat wood and a bit of a story to go with it!Finished with a mixture of walnut oil and beeswax. Comments and critiques are always welcome
    Last edited by Baxter Smith; 10-08-2011 at 2:42 PM.

I love these, Baxter. That stiching is a great idea I'll have to steal. The warp you got on the smaller bowls is really appealing. The symmetry you got was something I'm aspiring to. Thanks for posting. You are prolific. Whenever you post it's: Check out these 20 bowls I just made....

I think that shot of the bottom tells the story with madrone. Wonderful set and great that you guys were able to treat each other like that!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Great bowls Baxter. Also a great story.

Really nice bowls Baxter. Great story.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks guys. I was real happy when I heard Reed was going to be coming to St. Paul. Nothing like meeting and thanking someone in person.

I love having a branch part on the side of the bowl. It always warps more strangely there. Now you know why I love Madrone.

It was really nice to meet the Creekers in St. Paul. Now, I can match a few names to people I have met.

robo hippy

Cool set of bowls Baxter! I like the warpage, especially how the 3 smaller ones seem to have warped almost identically! Lots of character in that set!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Baxter, that is a beautiful set of bowls and the photos turned out really nice. Well done.

Alan

very pleasing color in this wood..nice group!

very nice set of bowls, thanks for sharing Baxter

I love your bowls. I like the color, shapes and the movement of the wood. I'll have to add a coring system to my need (want) to buy list. I wish that Madrone grew around upstate New York. I have some spalted beech, maple, and a little apple but no madrone.

Cheers,
    David

nice bowls baxter I would like to see the inside of the stitched bowl

Baxter, sure makes a good case for coring!!!! Like the copper wire stitch work.

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I value your thoughts!
    Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    I love having a branch part on the side of the bowl. It always warps more strangely there. Now you know why I love Madrone.

It was really nice to meet the Creekers in St. Paul. Now, I can match a few names to people I have met.

robo hippy
    Thanks again Reed. The wood around the branch did really contort a lot more than the pictures show. I suppose that area is a lot more prone to cracking due to those stresses. I wrapped the rims but didn't place them in bags until I noticed that one had already cracked. I kicked myself for not taking that extra step at the time but perhaps it was inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy Marshall View Post
    Cool set of bowls Baxter! I like the warpage, especially how the 3 smaller ones seem to have warped almost identically! Lots of character in that set!
    The warpage was interesting Kathy. The two largest seemed to change shape in one direction and the three smallest in the other.

Quote Originally Posted by David Gilbert View Post
    I love your bowls. I like the color, shapes and the movement of the wood. I'll have to add a coring system to my need (want) to buy list. I wish that Madrone grew around upstate New York. I have some spalted beech, maple, and a little apple but no madrone.

Cheers,
    David
    Thanks David. Madrone and mesquite are the two things I have turned that I wished grew in the East. But then, I suppose they wouldn't seem so special! Coring systems are handy when you have a piece of wood that is unique to you or your area.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wheeler View Post
    nice bowls baxter I would like to see the inside of the stitched bowl
    Hope these pics give you what you are looking for Tony. Not sure if you were interested in the grain or the stictching. If these don't do the trick, you know where to find me.
    DSC_0187.jpg10-7-11 Reed Gray's Cored Madrone 014.jpg