Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Three-Jaw Chuck

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Found a new use for this particular chuck. You know how you have a rough blank and it's not really flat enough to mount a faceplace for rough turning? I discovered I can drill three holes with a Forstner bit at 120 degrees apart and mount the blank by inserting the longest jaws into each. And I didn't need to measure it, either. I just drilled the first two holes, placed it onto the first two jaws, then used that position to mark the third hole.

With the tailstock engaged, I can rough turn the outside and create a tenon for mounting on the One-Way four-jaw unit. Worked great today. Quicker, less waste, and pretty darn secure.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

I have one just like it and have used it for many years, but not as many as Wally! Bought it before the newfangled 4 jawed chucks were available, and reversed the jaws for most turning operations. Later found it to be the perfect holder for drilling pen blanks at the drill press, and still occasionally drag it out for some similar operation.