Thread: Burl Scraps from Up North Burls

Burl Scraps from Up North Burls

About a week ago I was looking for some burl scraps to make Christmas ornaments. I got in touch with Cory from Up North Burls and he said he had some "scraps" he would sell cheap. These have got to be some of the nicest scraps I have ever seen.

IMG_2314.jpg

Here's an quick ornament I did this afternoon just to see what the burl would look like. I tried something different with the finial and don't really like it, but the burl for the globe is gorgeous.

black_ash_burl_ornament.jpg

I can't wait to turn the rest of the ornaments. If I do my part they should come out great. I also ordered from Cory a bigger piece of burl to do a hollow from out of. Size is 7 1/2" x 3". Picture is taken from his website. I can't wait to see what will come out of this piece.

img_2353.jpg

Cory also threw in some pen blanks just for good measure. Overall I have to say I'm very happy with what I got.

That black ash burl has a very unique look! From what I saw at AAW, Cory has some nice burl, though I have not turned any of it yet. Nice work on the ornament, and I am looking forward to seeing what you do with the HF - beautiful round of burl!

Cool looking ornament!

I have one piece of Cory's Black Ash burl that I rough turned a small vase out of. It should be plenty dry enough to finish turn one of these days!! Sure is some beautiful wood!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Great looking ornament. I am going to have to check out this burl.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Sure hope he comes to San Jose next year!!! I've been super blessed to receive a few boxes of other turners "trash" Holy cow!!! You're gonna have a great time Paul!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Great looking stuff!

That Cory is a top notch guy. I just got a box of Pen blanks in for a Christmas order. Of all the pens I showed they wanted ALL of them in Black Ash Burl. Great Product and great guy to deal with.
    Thanks,
    Chris
    C&C Always Welcome
    Hello, my name is Chris, and I am a turnaholic..............
    Hiiii Chris

Nicely done on the ornament, Paul! I bought some 'scraps' from Cory a while back, and there wasn't a bad piece in the lot... I even managed a pepper mill from one of the chunks. Great guy and great wood!