Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What's your ultimate project?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    I had never run across the term Mexican Rustic before so I Goggled it. Turns out my dining room table (from Pier 1) is Mexican Rustic!
    Ya learn something new every day don'tcha! Seriously though. I have lived in border states so long, that I have gotten an appreciation for the style... It started in college in Tucson... Love the style... Very warm and forgiving. Just feels homey to me...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    One problem with a boat is that once it is complete, you have just begun to spend money. It never ends. I had a free catamaran for a year that was far more expensive to maintain than if I had just rented one on an hourly basis. Parking was free, too.
    Who said anything about keeping our ultimate project I think most projects worthy of being labeled ultimate would probably cost WAY too much to fund on our own. That's the great thing about dreaming. It doesn't cost anything.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Good call, Larry.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    One problem with a boat is that once it is complete, you have just begun to spend money. It never ends. I had a free catamaran for a year that was far more expensive to maintain than if I had just rented one on an hourly basis. Parking was free, too.
    Oh, trust me I know. But the joy of stepping on board each time would be worth it.

wow. A pool table would be a great project. What type do you have in mind? Many years ago I played pool quite a bit. I had a job in a store that sold tables. Mostly I worked on cues but occasionally sold or delivered and set up the tables as well. I haven't played in years. I took up shotgun sports and haven't had much interest in pool since. I would love to have a table at home but I don't have the space. I did keep my cue in hopes that someday I would have a table.

I had always wanted to build gunstocks. It is really a whole new realm. For 22 years I have been a remodeling contractor and everything I ever did was plumb level and square. I have had to stop doing the construction work due to neck and shoulder injuries. I have since started a business doing custom gunstocks.

Another fun project I would like to do is to build a stave drum. Perhaps a whole matching set if the first one went well. I had never given it any thought untill I saw a post here on the creek by Seth Dolecourt. He builds some amazing projects and even started another forum just for drum building. I don't play drums and really have no desire to but it looks like a fun build.

Blog Entries
    I was thinking something like this guy. I can only hope mine would turn out this good.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?97238-Build-Your-Own-Pool-Table

I also found this site that I probably will buy the plans from (when I get the funding)
    http://www.pooltableplans.com/
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 10-16-2011 at 9:56 AM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

My ultimate is either one of two projects. If I can complete either, I'll say I've done something. I want to do a Maloof rocker and a Townsen/Goddard secretary.

Here is my last two projects pretty tough I like doing them and learned a lot.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...tauntons-plans

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...-wine-cabinets
    Last edited by Keith Hankins; 10-16-2011 at 9:57 PM.

I have three:
    -a timber framed home using lumber i felled, milled and dried
    -a woodstrip canoe
    -a VERY nice tool cabinet

Larry,

I've built a pool table based off of the plans in this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Furnitu...8874056&sr=8-5#_

I'll have to find my pictures (or move all the junk off of the table to take some new ones), but it was not that difficult of a project. Dimensining the rails was probably the most difficult part of the whole thing. I was amazed at how few pieces were really involved...

Sorry about spreading the boat-building disease... I have two small boat projects started at the moment... the mini runabout and an 18' cedar strip canoe. Maybe I'll have time to finish one once my kids are out of Little League, scouts, hockey, etc.

--Dan

Funny about all the grandfather clocks. One of my first woodworking projects. I will admit I did not know better. But turned out GREAT!

My project has always been a segmented bowel I saw on the cover of WOOD magazine years ago.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Not sure why but I have always wanted to build a good chair. I still have the chair that my dad sat on every morning as he put on his shoes. I don't have a lathe or a bandsaw but do have a fully equipped workshop otherwise. Some day I will come across some plans for a nice chair that I want to build. I want it to be a keepsake for one of my kids when I pass on.

Here is a picture I call "Remembering Dad"

I resurrected this chair from the side of the barn. It was all in pieces, two spindles missing, and the seat was split. I carried the pieces around through two moves and finally got around to fixing this chair and I still have it in my bedroom today.

For those interested in photography, the image was taken in a completely darkened room and lit by a LED flashlight during a 20 second exposure.
    Last edited by Gordon Eyre; 10-17-2011 at 6:39 PM.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

A mission style dining room set. Table, six chairs and a side board. Chairs intimidate me.

Me too and me too. Maybe this would be my penultimate project.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Surig View Post
    A mission style dining room set. Table, six chairs and a side board. Chairs intimidate me.

At the moment, my ultimate project is learning to mill lumber flat and square

My ultimate project is the one that got me interested in woodworking in the first place. Despite the fact that I've built dozens of pieces, large and small, I still haven't had the courage to start it, as I want to make it perfect. My ultimate project is the Thomas Jefferson folding lap desk, the one he used every day of his adult life, including working on the Declaration of Independence. I've got a plan, the FWW article, and theoretically the skillset, but something in those tiny dovetails is very intimidating. I know this isn't the "real" one, but I want it to be as close as possible when I finally build it.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.