Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help me rearange my shop-Gorilla arrives Tomorrow!

Blog Entries
    John,
    You have got me thinking again hmmmm In my last drawing, the workbench does seem like a stepchild over there sorta all by it's self. So I really changed things around. It's still early by I think I like it better. What do you think?

Larry
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Hey Larry,

In answer to your question regarding your drawing I just saved it a a jpeg file and I used my picture editing software (MS Digital Image Pro9) to make chnges. I'm able to encircle items and cut and paste si its pretty easy.

Lots of good ideas and designs throughout the thread. Pardon my honesty, and realize this is just one person's opinion. But, I'm least fond of the latest design. You've lost some of your work rectangles, broken up the open spaces, and left no direct paths. Just looking at the floor plan I see lots of walking around one machine to get to another.

The relative heights of your machines is one issue that has come up and makes a difference. If you can do it, a list of the heights would help. The jointer next to the tablesaw for example is a great idea unless the jointer is above the work plane of the TS. I buildt a 2" base under my TS to put it at 36" and it clears the jointer fence. I have most table heights at 36" so they can all be used as infeed or outfeed for one another, and they don't interfere with each other.

Another issue duscussed has been mobile bases and moving machines. My though is that once you get a permanent DC ducting layout set up, you don't want to be moving those machines. Mobility is a life saver for small shops or double duty situation, i.e. when you need to get a car in. You don't have either of those situations, so (again IMHO) find a good spot and leave'em there. The only item I see that I would have casters on is the assembly table. You may want to move that depending on the project or even spin it around as you glue-up.

If you'll permit me, I'll point out what I think are some concerns in the last drawing and perhaps some advantages in earlier layouts. See what you think.

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Waag; 05-16-2005 at 1:39 AM.
    Ken Waag

Blog Entries
    Ken,
    The 2nd drawing you posted is not possible. The mitersaw table cannot fit on that wall and the lumber rack will block the ducting from the DC. With my latest design my thinking was that the workbench needed to be closer to the assy table. It also seems to have better defined work areas. I also like having the Shopsmith where it is. I use it mostly as a drill press and bandsaw right now (the bandsaw is pretty limited though). I am still not happy with the placement of the planer. I use the planer at the beginning of a project and then it sits idle until I start another project.

Also, I welcome all ideas, don't hold back what you think. I promise it won't offend me. And I will listen to what you and others have to say. Otherwise I wouldn't have asked for help.

Thanks to everyone who have taken the time to help me with this. I really do appreciate it.

Larry
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Hi Larry, I'm thinking you're getting closer to "the truth" here, with your latest re-org. Personally, I'm happy to see your workbench closer to the assy. table, as it really does make more sense. The one switch I can't quite agree with is the Shopsmith location. Would it be possible to put it back to where your clamp rack is and move the clamp rack, for instance, next to your spindle sander? I say this because, the SS does indeed make for a nice drill press. When do you use the DP? Well, for me, it's usually in the course of assembly. I believe it would make more sense getting such a tool closer to the assembly area. By your own admission, the BS operation of it isn't too great. (I *know* this, as well, because I used to have one!) For some reason, I predict that it won't be long before you have a formidable BS in there, so you may as well plan accordingly. Otherwise, I think you've made great improvements!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Hi Larry, I'm thinking you're getting closer to "the truth" here, with your latest re-org. Personally, I'm happy to see your workbench closer to the assy. table, as it really does make more sense. The one switch I can't quite agree with is the Shopsmith location. Would it be possible to put it back to where your clamp rack is and move the clamp rack, for instance, next to your spindle sander? I say this because, the SS does indeed make for a nice drill press. When do you use the DP? Well, for me, it's usually in the course of assembly. I believe it would make more sense getting such a tool closer to the assembly area. By your own admission, the BS operation of it isn't too great. (I *know* this, as well, because I used to have one!) For some reason, I predict that it won't be long before you have a formidable BS in there, so you may as well plan accordingly. Otherwise, I think you've made great improvements!
    John,
    How's this? I managed to squeeze the planer in next to the jointer. I'm a little worried about the space between the TS and jointer (about 24") Is that enough room to operate it comfortably? I am also a little concerned about the space around the bench and assy table. I moved the shopsmith like you suggested. That really does make more sense.

Ken,
    I think the path lines are a little less crooked with this as well. I just can't seem to find another wall for the lumber rack. Plus, I have been thinking about how much I go to the lumber rack in the course of a project. It's not that much, so I think I should give priority to the flow between machines and assembly processes.

Larry
    Larry J Browning

Can someone answer this based on my observations. The sanding station and spindle sander are ~38 feet from the DC. Is this too far?
    Rich

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

Larry, on that last one, did you consider flipping the TS 180º? That puts your J & P to the right which eliminates any potential for interference with material handing to the left of the blade...where overhang typically occurs.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Konopka
    Can someone answer this based on my observations. The sanding station and spindle sander are ~38 feet from the DC. Is this too far?
    Rich, I am by no means an authority on this, but I have found that it's much easier for a decent DC to pick up fines from a further distance than chips. I even have a drum sander as the very last item on my runs and, that's after quite a few 45° turns! Works quite well, actually. Larry is installing a premium cyclone and I believe, running at least 6" main runs. IMHO he shouldn't have a problem with that.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!

LOL!!! Jim "kind of" beat me to the punch on this one. I was going to suggest swapping your jointer and planer around to get by the possibility of your fence interfering with the TS. I like Jim's suggestion better! BTW, this last design, along with the other changes you've made, looks as though it may be the most workable and efficient of all the previous ones! Lookin' good, Larry!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Larry, on that last one, did you consider flipping the TS 180º? That puts your J & P to the right which eliminates any potential for interference with material handing to the left of the blade...where overhang typically occurs.
    Jim,
    I agree that the jointer and planer present the biggest problem here. But it seems to me that flipping TS 180 might cause a workflow issue. With the TS in its current position there is easy access to the TS from the MS sort of a work triangle there. I purposely placed the jointer offset form the back of the TS blade so that even with overhang to the left most boards would clear the blade before hitting the fence. I will flip it around when I get home from work tonight and play with it a little more.

Larry
    Larry J Browning

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning
    I will flip it around when I get home from work tonight and play with it a little more.
    This is one of the best ways to do final tweeking of a shop arrangement...make the change, step back, walk around and envision how things would be to workflow. Sometimes a slight compromise on one thing makes for overall better flow in another. Play with it since paper is no substitute for your eyes!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Larry, I just noticed something I find kinda' funny. If you go way back to one of my first replies on this, you may see better where I'm at. From you last drawing, if you take your jointer/planer and slide them right to where the TS is and then take your TS and put it back into your original configuration, you'd have all your clearance problems solved, the flow would still be efficient and you'd still retain close proximity to your DC for good pickup capabilities.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Larry or someone else, can you send me the file that has the tools drawings in it? Awhile back I received it, but I can not seem to locate it now.

Thanks
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Never mind, I found them. Thanks Google.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Larry, I just noticed something I find kinda' funny. If you go way back to one of my first replies on this, you may see better where I'm at. From you last drawing, if you take your jointer/planer and slide them right to where the TS is and then take your TS and put it back into your original configuration, you'd have all your clearance problems solved, the flow would still be efficient and you'd still retain close proximity to your DC for good pickup capabilities.
    Oh, so we're back to the perpendicular thing again Just kidding!

I will try that, but I think you may be onto something here. I'm at work and I don't have the workshop file with me. So I will have to do it when I get home tonight.

Larry
    Larry J Browning