Thread: Blanks cracking--help

Unhappy Blanks cracking--help

I've had some bowl blanks stored in the garage for a few weeks, maybe 6 or so, that are ready to go on the lathe and have just been waiting for the inspiration to turn them. Two days ago I noticed that some of them were cracked. One, a 10"X 4 1/2" walnut was really in bad shape, but I turned it anyway. So here's the problem, all the blanks have been cut our from fresh logs, there is no pith, I have bandsawed them and have at least two coats of anchorseal on them. They are in an open garage and out of any direct sunlight. Three of the seven will wind up in the firewood pile. Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong or how I can avoid this in the future??

They are still drying to fast. The best way I know would be to bury them in sawdust.
    Make sure they are off the floor. You also could store them in trash bags with news paper in the bag. You have to change the newspaper doing that. This time of year is when the wood is at it's wetest---I try and get my blanks in late in the fall when the sap is down---just makes it less work.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Cecil,

In addition to Gary's advice, you will get far less cracking if you immediately rough turn any blanks to 3/4" to 1" or so, depending on size. At this wall thickness, you will still have enough wood to bring the bowl back to round after it is dry. Be sure that the bottom is not left too thick.

After rough turning, some use Anchorseal, some don't, some bury in shavings, or in paper bags, or use alcohol drying, liquid dish detergent, or ...do nothing and just wait a year and finish turn.

-Steve

Cecil,

I use to get my green wood and then ruff out a complete bowl and leave it 3/4 " thick uniformly. Then I would pack it in shavings and place it in a paper bag with shavings all around it and put it down stairs for the 5 month wait. Now I still ruff it out the same or even a little thinner then soak it in alcohol for 1 day then cover just the outside and bottom of the bowl in plastic rap and leave it upside down on a drying rack for 1 week. I then finish turn it and so far no problems.
    both ways have worked well for me.

good luck
    Keith