Thread: Motor size for a bench-top jointer?

Motor size for a bench-top jointer?

I was given a 6" benchtop jointer, sans motor. I'd like to use it for some small-ish parts, table leg size and under. Can anyone tell me what size (and RPM) motor I should look for? Will a salvaged washer or dryer motor work for a while, or would that be an absolute waste of time?

FWIW, I'm not expecting fine, finished surfaces straight from the jointer; it's more about squaring up the material than anything else. I'm using hand planes to finish the surfaces, but I'm having a very difficult time keeping the edges square and the thickness consistent. This jointer is going to act as a bit of a crutch until I can bring my planing techniques up to a reasonable level.

Thanks,
    Jay M

Current 6" jointers are usually around 1hp, 3400ish rpm. You could probably get away with something down to 1/2hp as long as you're not trying to hog off too much wood.

Most bench top 6" jointers use motors in the 1/3 to 1/2 HP range... I think 3450 or 3650 rpm, somewhere in that area... If you post up make and model chances are we can give you more detailed help...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Pretty much anything around 1/2 HP will work. The rpm doesn't really matter. You can adjust the jointer head rpm to whatever is required by the combination of sheaves you use on it and the motor shaft. You need to find out what the required jointer head rpm is, and go from there.

A jointer won't solve your thickness issues. You need a planer for that. But it is great for getting faces flat and squaring one face to another.

Thanks guys. I'll try to dig up a model number, but the chances are slim. I think the stickers with the model info are all worn off. Somewhere in the pit of my basement aka worksop, I think I've got an older 1/3hp dryer motor hanging around. IIRC, it was a 1700ish RPM motor. We'll see if I can make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    A jointer won't solve your thickness issues. You need a planer for that. But it is great for getting faces flat and squaring one face to another.
    That's a good point John. I'll be happy if I can get two flat and square faces; after that I should be able to tune up faces 3 & 4 with a good table saw blade and the hand planes. We'll see if theory meets practice

Go with 1hp - 3450 rpm. It will do a better job on hardwoods. You can pick up on on the Bay pretty cheap. Stick with leeson, Baldor or an american motor.