Thread: Arm-R-Seal

Arm-R-Seal

Is there a way to spray General Finishes Arm-R-Seal with an HVLP gun? I have always wiped it on in the past but I'm wondering if I could speed up the process.
    Thanks-Rick
    Rick Mellin

Which Arm-seal product are you using? What are you finishing? How are you appling the wipe-on?

Most finishes can be sprayed. HOWEVER, spraying an oil based varnish has it's drawbacks... yes it's faster.
    If you are using the oil/varnish blend, I don't see much gain in application speed you still need to wipe the excess in 15-20 minutes.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Hi Scott,
    I'm using oil and urethane top coat over BLO on cherry.
    Rick
    Rick Mellin

Spraying an oil based finish is problematic. Because it is so slow drying, the overspray is in the form of liquid droplets. The overspray will remain in the air and when they settle onto a surface you will end up with a crust on everything in your shop. If you want to spray, you need a good, efficient spray booth or you should spray outdoors.

Stay with wiping it on. That's what it is designed and formulated for.
    Howie.........

Thank you Scott and Howard, I'll stick with wiping.
    Rick
    Rick Mellin