Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: bad BAD news ya'll!

I know that the one thing that is going to suck the most over this tragedy is the time lost in getting in to your new house. Even the slightest delays can be the most frustrating.
    Keep up the good spirits, it'll all work out.

Brad,

Sorry to hear about/see the pictures of your misfortune. I like your attitude of "LOML gets to make any floorplan changes now". As everyone else has said - if noone got hurt then the damage is "just" time and money.

I'm curious about 1 thing, though. It doesn't appear as if the walls had much sheathing on them, and the sheathing is what prevents racking (maybe I just can't see them in the pictures). Is that correct and, if so, any idea why so much of the stud work was done with no sheathing?

What are the horizontal strips of wood running across the roof for? Spacers to nail mount the sheathing on?

Rob

yeah rob, the sheating is coverd up in those pics. on top of that i hadn't removed a single brace! each wall had 9 or 10 braces. i think that's one of the most frustrating things to go through. i dont know of one thing i could do different. the framing is sub'd out but i'm on the framing crew, so i know things are done RIGHT. i've helped this guy build 4 other houses. one of them being my parents house. it was a strong house. just bad timing between not having a roof to tie everything together a little more and a bad storm coming through.
    oh well, i love it so much i'm gonna build it again.

i thought i had doged the hot weather.........nope

cya
    The Country Toad Workshop Rogersville, Al

What a bummer! Hope all goes well with the clean-up and re-build.

Bob
    Spinning is good on a lathe, not good in a Miata.

Brad,

What are the horizontal strips of wood running across the roof for? Spacers to nail the sheathing to?

Rob

Brad, that was just the woodshop right? Seriously, it sounds like you've weathered the storm remarkably. I hope everything goes well for you and yours in the days ahead.

Thoughts and prayers, brad - good luck.

Richard,

What earthly reason, or unearthly for that matter, could there be for not reusing the lumber that comes from a frame that is blown down?

John

John, the lumber suffers from a stress called shake. It can result in lumber which can no longer carry loads that it is rated to carry.

Richard

Richard,

I never knew that. Just goes to prove you learn something new every day, in my case, I learn quite a lot every day, and a lot of that comes from this site.

John

From a forestry website:

Shake: Shake is a separation or a weakness of fiber bond, between or through the annual rings, that is presumed to extend lengthwise without limit. Because shake reduces resistance to shear in members subjected to bending, grading rules therefore restrict shake most closely in those parts of a bending member where shear stresses are highest. In members with limited cross grain, which are subjected only to tension or compression, shake does not affect strength greatly. Shake may be limited in a grade because of appearance and because it permits entrance of moisture, which results in decay. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
    Doug
    Remember, wherever you go, I've probably already been there.

rob, the horizontal pieces are spruce lathing for a metal roof. no need for decking and the metal guys say i can use it every 32", but i feel it ties everything together a little if it's on 16" centers. as u can see the rafters held together pretty good. the spruce can take a beating!

as for an update. it looks like things will be back on track shortly. insurance guy said tear it down and use new lumber. which is fine with me! i'm not planning on salvaging any lumber for the reason mentioned earlier, and if u have any doubts as to whether or not shake will hurt a rafter or joist you should feel this wood! when u beat it with a hammer it rattles. not solid at all!

thanx again for all the wishes and thoughts!! we're back down to the second story floor now and ripped up half of the ply subfloor. if the rain holds out, i'm fairly confident we can start laying rat sills again this time next week.

i sure dread putting that ridge back up again! my butt was drawn up for 3 days! lol

cya'll
    brad
    The Country Toad Workshop Rogersville, Al

Brad,

That's too bad. Hope it all gets worked out.

t
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

At least you or your wife weren't hurt, Sorry about your misfortune, Hang in there. Keep your positive attitude. It'll all work out...
    Jerry