Thread: 4 poster bed project

4 poster bed project

Started this bed so I could use up some 5/4 ash sitting on the shop floor behind my TS. Bed posts made from 2" stock. IMG_3445.JPGIMG_4910.JPGIMG_4957.JPGIMG_4967.JPGIMG_4962.JPGIMG_4979.jpgIMG_5017.JPGIMG_5022-1.jpg

Bed in our basement guest room. This replaced an Asian made metal tube head / footboard.
    IMG_5071.JPGIMG_5075.JPG
    Last edited by Bryan Cowing; 11-09-2011 at 6:53 AM.

Very nice Bryan! What color stain did you use?
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

That is an awesome creation. I would also love to know what kind of stain was used. I am also jealous of your lathe. I only have a short bed Woodfast so posts like this are out of my reach. Thanks and keep up the fantastic work.

IMG_5029.JPGIMG_5038.JPGIMG_5040.JPG
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    Very nice Bryan! What color stain did you use?
    Started with Min Wax dark walnut. Because of light and dark wood in the ash I tried to wipe on a 3rd coat to darken the white wood and leave it on. pic 1. But it stayed tacky for days, so I wiped it down with mineral spirits. pic 2. Had a sick looking color to the bed and no other type of stain would work over the min wax that was left. I think the pores were saturated. I let it dry for a few days. I tinted some lacquer with walnut fast dry stain, and tried to get an even brown color, some areas needing 4 coats, some one. pic 3. I did get a coloured run, had to sand and re shoot a small area of one post. Then carefully sanded, didn't want to cut through the tint layer. Two more coats of gloss lacquer to finish it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    That is an awesome creation. I would also love to know what kind of stain was used. I am also jealous of your lathe. I only have a short bed Woodfast so posts like this are out of my reach. Thanks and keep up the fantastic work.
    Last edited by Bryan Cowing; 11-09-2011 at 5:00 PM.