Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Please help me save my marriage...

Paintball gun ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Slimp View Post
    If you have cutters, blades, or bits spinning there is no safe way in my opinion. Since it's detached she won't know that. Could you use one of those remotes they make to turn on/off Christmas lights with a lamp plugged into it to alert you? You could plug in a lamp, strobe light, lava lamp, or whatever gets your attention.
    Exactly. I got extremely upset with my wife a couple of weeks ago because I was in the middle of doing something, and she started screaming to get my attention. She wasn't yelling at me but was just trying to be heard over a router and my cyclone. Scared the hell out of me, I almost destroyed my piece and I could have gotten hurt. And SHE could have gotten hurt.

Afterwards, we tried to figure out a way to get my attention, and finally I just told her "If you hear machines going, stay out of the shop....period. Unless you're having a heart attack or the place is on fire AND it can't wait 10 seconds, just stay out". That's the only way. It's dangerous for both of us and there is really nothing that important unless it's life threatening.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 12-02-2011 at 4:01 PM.

I have the same proble too in my attached garage. After reading the posts maybe a flashing strobe light is the best solution because I have one for my cyclone dust bin and I'm used to it alarming so it really doesn't make me jump.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    "If you hear machines going, stay out of the shop....period. Unless you're having a heart attack or the place is on fire AND it can't wait 10 seconds, just stay out". That's the only way. It's dangerous for both of us and there is really nothing that important unless it's life threatening.
    +1. Same thing happened to me and I calmly asked my wife how she'd feel if she was directly responsible for me cutting a finger off. Very few things are so important that they can't wait a minute or two...

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Burrell View Post
    Yeah, the cellphone idea is great. Unfortunately...we don't get signal where we live...
    AT&T microcell. Solve two problems at once (assuming you have broadband internet access, that is). You'd have cellphone coverage and the wife could call you. Cheap too, about $200.

a doorbell transformer wired to a bell and flashing lights strung on all four walls will get your attention- or the back-up alarm that trucks use

My garage door has a button that disables it so pushing the button on the remote dose nothing. That will solve the ''That scares the ever-lovin' heck out of me."
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 12-02-2011 at 5:52 PM.
    Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska

if this post are not a sticky then it need to be a sticky

Baby monitor. Inexpensive and effective.
    I used one for years when I had a detached shop.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Door number one, Flashy!
    Door number two, 24 square feet to score.
    Door number three, she could just launch your dinner into the shop (provided she has good aim).

Iffin 'twas me, I would shut off the garage door before I removed a digit.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 12-02-2011 at 5:53 PM.

If you hear machines going, stay out of .......

Uh, John???? Do you have a REALLY good lawer? (Snicker!)
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    If you hear machines going, stay out of .......

Uh, John???? Do you have a REALLY good lawer? (Snicker!)
    Bill
    LOL...I know how it sounds. It wasn't in a mean way. I usually only run things for a maximum of a couple of minutes at a time. I spend most of my time working by hand so it's really not that big of a deal. Now that you mention it, though, I do like the idea of popping in some earplugs, turning on the dust collector and getting some piece and quiet.....

One of the things about bluetooth audio is that it will mute and send a notification when you receive a text...and it is not startling at all. So set up BT connection to a stereo or boom box using your cell phone...then just have her send you a text.

For 12 years I had a phone flasher attached to a 100w light bulb that was set up high in the shop. It always got my attention even with my back turned towards it. It was never startling enough to me to endanger me.

I bought one of these a couple of years ago: http://www.grizzly.com/outlet/Shop-Flash-/G8590. It's nice because you can select the strobe and buzzer functions separately. I just use mine on strobe mode, which isn't terribly distracting. These things are activated by vibration. I set my cell phone on vibration mode, then on top of unit. If my wife can't get my attention, she just calls me. Can't beat the price.