Thread: Clearvue CV06 Mini system

Clearvue CV06 Mini system

I am considering purchasing the new Clearvue CV06 Mini System and having it shipped to the United kingdom
    My questions
    (1) Can anyone please advise if I will be charged any custom or excise charges

(2) Does anyone have any experience of the new CV06 Mini System and what are their thoughts on the product
    regards Brian

Brian

I'm in Canada, so I can't comment on your first question.

I have the CV06. It works very well keeping the filter in my vacuum clean. That was the main reason I bought it.

On the down side, the top is a bugger to get off when the pail fills. I realize that the top needs to be hermetically sealed for the unit to work, but I think they've gone a bit overboard.

The second downside is the way they have you mounting the unit to the vac. They send you 2 bolts and 2 firm foam pieces. You are to drill two holes through your vac and two through the external pail holder of the unit. Then, you push the bolts through the pail holder, through the foam and in to your vac, where you install the nuts. So, the unit is hanging off the side of your vac. First problem is that the bolts are too short. I wrote them about that and they told me that they would look into it. I had longer bolts in my arsenal, and used them. Once the foam is compressed to the shape of your vac, the supplied bolts are long enough.

A bigger problem is that, when the unit is full, the foam compresses and the bolts loosen. In my case, I had mounted the unit fairly low on my vac to clear the top of my vac. When the foam compressed, the unit dragged on the floor. I ended up taking the unit off, mounting a piece of mdf across the outside of the bottom of my vac, and standing the unit on that piece of mdf. I had to put a small caster under the board to support the unit when it was full. Now, all's right with the world.

I see that the Oneida unit has casters under it. I can understand why.

So, to make a short story long, the unit is now working well. If I had to do it over, I would not. Between having to re-engineer that mount for it and having to struggle like hell to open it up, the downsides outweigh the benefits.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Grant

A big thank you for your comments and advise .I still feel drawn to the product but will pause before making a decision to buy

regards Brian

You're welcome, Brian. I didn't look at the Oneida unit before I got this one. I now see that the Oneida has casters on the bottom of the unit. If the rest of the unit does the job of keeping the vac's filter clean, it may be worth considering it over the CV06.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Brian,

I have the CV06, also (and can't speak to customs/excise charges, either). I had similar issues as Grant had in trying to mount it to my Shop Vac. Finally grew frustrated and am making this cart from ShopNotes:
    http://www.shopnotes.com/plans/shop-vacuum-station/
    but with needed modifications to hold the CV06.

They have modified the bucket and now have a ratcheting lid - much easier to get off!

Whatever you decide, good luck with your dust collection.
    Last edited by Carl Babel; 12-02-2011 at 7:59 PM. Reason: hit finished too early

I have the CV06 and it does work very well, the cost is a little high.
    I also have the Dust Deputy and it is just about as good and a lot cheaper, right now you can get the Deputy for $40. I have mine mounted to a swimming pool chemical buck and it work great.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ht=dust+deputy

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ht=dust+deputy

A big thank you to everyone who has replied with help and advise

I would like to draw to everyone's attension the Clearvue min cyclone has been redesigned and the appearance has changed

regards Brian

I have a Dust Right Vortex Dust Separator for my shop-vac and have had very good results with it, it probably catches 90% of debris and keeps it out of the vac: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=30068

Attachment 040530-36-200.jpg

I see that the dust deputy is made of "anti-static" plastic. Is that the same with the Clearvue mini? Does it matter?

Since I was very critical of the CV06 at the beginning of this thread, I believe it is only fair to pass along how Clearvue responded. I wrote to them just after I posted the first of my comments here. They have replied very quickly to tell me that they have a new lid for the unit. They had received other criticisms like mine and they went to work to address them. They are contacting all their customers of this unit to offer an upgrade to the new lid. Further, they are looking into some sort of cart to address the mounting issue.

I believe that it says a lot about the people running Clearvue that they listened to calm criticisms and responded very quickly to them.

As a result of my experience with them, I have changed my position on the unit. I had said that I wouldn't buy one again, even though it did a good job of separation. Now, if I were to need another of this kind of unit, I would go again with the Clearvue.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

I'd have to say that right from Bill Pentz forward that Clear Vue has from my own contacts always been a company that above all else would try to do the right thing for the right reasons - that the players concerned had a basic honesty and lack of hype about them that appealed to me,. That more than overcame their relatively low key presentation.

It's interesting to flip through the Clear Vue Forums - it's a little quiet these days, but the vibe is universally genuine.

Good to hear that the new guys may be headed down that same road....

ian
    Last edited by ian maybury; 12-05-2011 at 3:44 PM.

Grant,
    Thank you for your revised post ,I agree with you. Often a good measure of a company is how they act when you complain or raise concerns and as you have highlighted the people at Clearvue have clearly (forgive pun) met this challenge

regards Brian