Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What machine would you want from Santa.

Blog Entries
    I dont know that Mrs. Claus would sign off on the $10K.

Next tool purchase for me will probably be a lathe. I was thinking of a JET 1642-2. And begining to think about LN planes, scrapers, chisels.

I'm pretty sure that Santa actually is actually bringing me a Biesmeyer Over Arm Blade Guard for my Unisaw.

While I'm thinking of it Merry Christmas to all of you. I hope you eat, drink, be merry, watch football, get in some shop time, be safe, and have a super holiday.

PHM

I want an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle. Or a multi-router.

Does a shell of a new shop qualify? I believe that is a very important aspect of wood or metal working, it's that whole ...what came first the chicken or the egg thing. Personally I would like a 40' x 60' with 14' eaves, 16' would be fine as well. If you are a good shopper you can find one for around 9 - 10K delivered, right in Santas budget. I would gladly do the rest

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    OK, Santa is coming with his semi dropping off machines to all the good (and maybe even a little naughty) woodworkers. He has a budget of $10,000 for each one of us, so we can go a little crazy but not stupid crazy. He is limiting us to one machine each, period. Don't complain to me! So what machine would be listed in your letter to Santa?

For me it would be a Felder AD741 Power Drive Jointer/Planer, I would have gotten seperates but Ole St Nick limited me to one crate... I maxed out my budget so I will have to add the Byrd head.
    Suspiciously, Felder have it on sale for $9,995 in the USA, which means you can afford a coffee to go with it..............LOL........Merry Christmas...............Rod.

P.S. What would I want? A mortiser to stick on the side of my jointer, way less than the $10K cap.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 12-21-2011 at 9:59 AM. Reason: added post script

Santa could drop off one of his elves for a years service. The little guy could keep all my chisels and planes sharp, dust collector empty, tools maintained and waxed, shop vacuumed and cleaned up and any other of the time sucking crap work we have to do that is not directly related to making something nice.

Oh yeah, he could do all the sanding on my projects in his spare time.

~Todd

OK, Santa is coming with his semi dropping off machines to all the good (and maybe even a little naughty) woodworkers. He has a budget of $10,000 for each one of us, so we can go a little crazy but not stupid crazy. He is limiting us to one machine each, period. Don't complain to me! So what machine would be listed in your letter to Santa?

For me it would be a Felder AD741 Power Drive Jointer/Planer, I would have gotten seperates but Ole St Nick limited me to one crate... I maxed out my budget so I will have to add the Byrd head.
    Thats on the top of my list too, at $9995.00 I'd have enough left over for part of a lunch.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

That's a tough call. I am a hobby woodworker, and am plenty happy even with my cheap equipment... So do I upgrade say for example my Ryobi BT3100 table saw to a SawStop 3HP PCS, or maybe my Central Machinery 12x36 lathe in favor of a big Mustard colored monster? OR would I be better of adding a piece of equipment I don't have one of yet, like a nice Wide drum / thickness sander?

I think for me, a good thickness sander would to the trick, maybe one of those Jet 16/32 sanders...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Bowman View Post
    I want an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle. Or a multi-router.
    You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

I don't need any more machines. I would like his elves to put up my Oneida dust collector and run all the ductwork. Then take away the boxes.

Kirk

when i first read the title the felder KF 700 S Professional Saw/Shaper jumped to mind, then i read the limit so i guess i'll go with the hammer saw shaper.

Old iron aircraft carrier like jointer and an old Delta Unisaw looking shaper.

I feel very fortunate ... and ... maybe this is the right time of year to realize that ... because I have the vast majority of the tools to match my skill level, ambitions, and the sort of work that I do.

They're largely "low-end" machines, but ... as I say ... that fits, for now.

The notable exception is the oft-mentioned (can't help it; I'm excited !) 5HP, 220V 1ph SawStop ICS that sits in the garage, crated, until we move.

So ... what would I like ? A big-boy, ducted DC system -- maybe Oneida or Clear-Vue ... but probably a beefy 5hp motor that will just suck the paint off the walls, and align the strands in the OSB beneath it

Merry Xmas/Happy Holidays to all the Creekers ! May you all get what you wish for, but ... still have OTHER things TO wish for !

Well... $10,000? I don't want to be too greedy, so I'd ask for the new Delta Unisaw, a Powermatic 16-32 Sanding machine and a Powermatic 15" planer.
    Merry Christmas to all...
    PS.
    That would mean I would need a bigger shop...
    NOTHING beats a failure,but a try.
    -------------------------------------------
    Have a Blessed Day,

JMC

I must admit as I was falling off to sleep last night I felt bad that my post may have seemed materialistic and it certainly is, but I did want to say this is just for a little fun, maybe take us back to childhood when hopefully for all of us Christmas morning was a time of pure joy, whether "our Santa" had a $10 budget or a 10,000 budget.

Matt, remember Santa's elves will build this machine and so it is the perfect time to get what you desire without worry of supporting a company that you have reservations about patronizing, plus just get the ICS if you have a little extra room!

I know the budget may seem rediculous to some and confining to others (mainly those that covet Euro machines) and the budget was totally arbitrary but a nice round number. Rod, it truely was arbitrary and after deciding on a number I just went to the Felder site to see which J/P fit my budget, if it hadn't been arbitrary the budget would be just enough to get the Digidriver version... with a Byrd head...and extension wings.

Have some fun with it an know if I were the real Santa after I finished with all the kids and truely needy of the world I would make all the "kids' in this threads Christmas morning wishes come true. I would likely contract out the delivery since a sleigh with a liftgate on the back just wouldn't look right, Santa has to keep the lines on his whip tight don't you know!
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McGaha View Post
    I dont know that Mrs. Claus would sign off on the $10K.

No need to be concerned, Santa's budget for this comes from a up to know unknown slush fund that Mrs. Claus has no idea exists.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Matt, remember Santa's elves will build this machine and so it is the perfect time to get what you desire without worry of supporting a company that you have reservations about patronizing
    I've heard Santa and Sawstop broke off talks on licensing the technology. Sawstop accused Santa of not caring about anything about profits (how does Santa profit?--1 word: "Volume"), Santa says Sawstop wants too much money. Sawstop is appealing to the NPCPSC (North Pole Consumer Product Safety Commission) to force Santa to comply. Sad really.