Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: You cannot fix stupid!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    Just wondering. If they sign a waiver about damage to their vehicle, etc., I can understand; but what about cases like above where something flies off and possibly damages someone/something else? Would there be any liability for the loader of the purchase? I would be concerned if I loaded/helped load something on someone's vehicle that I wasn't comfortable with and they had some type of mishap from it flying off or damaging someone else's property. I don't think I would want any part in assisting someone's stupidity. How do most stores handle this?
    From what I've seen at the BORG, they will help you with conventional loading but if it is questionable, they just go back in the store and it's all on you. I think they even have a sign stating something about stupid loads.

Dan, while agree on the NMP, I would say that if a drive put something on his car and it flew off and damaged someone else's property or injured a person, they are most CERTAINLY liable for it themselves...especially if warned by the "loader".
    I drink, therefore I am.

I used to have a helper that I'd send to the store to get things. He managed to lose a couple of sheets of plywood he tried to carry on top of his ski rack. I only found out about this when they were delivered and the edges were all banged up from bouncing down the highway behind his car. This was also the guy who came back with a large sack because he couldn't remember whether I'd asked for 6 12" spikes or 12 6" ones. I still got those 6 12" ones around somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Dan, while agree on the NMP, I would say that if a drive put something on his car and it flew off and damaged someone else's property or injured a person, they are most CERTAINLY liable for it themselves...especially if warned by the "loader".
    KY law officers can write a ticket for any load that are not secured[tie down ]if any of the load fall off of the truck or bicycle, CAN someone tell me the force that a 6mph wind will apply to a 4x8 sheet of plywood when you are packing it and the wind catch you broadside ?

That reminds me of the time (20 some odd years ago) that my dad and I went to get some drywall. It was drizzling out, so we laid plastic down in the bed of his truck, loaded the drywall on, then wrapped/folded the plastic around the drywall to keep it dry. The sheets were 8'ers, my dad had a small pickup, so the tailgate had to be down... Yeah, when we went to enter the main road, the best way to describe it was a burial at sea...the whole cluster of drywall came off as one...undamaged, not cracked or broken. Oh, did I mention my dad had a bed liner? Plastic on plastic...DUH!!!!!!!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    From what I've seen at the BORG, they will help you with conventional loading but if it is questionable, they just go back in the store and it's all on you. I think they even have a sign stating something about stupid loads.
    I never noticed any signs and that's partly why I asked. I fortunately have a big suburban and also a utility trailer so most anything I've needed to transport has been easy to do. My favorite "what are you thinking" transport item is driver with left arm and passenger with right arm holding down a mattress that is on the roof. No way could they hold that down at speed or when a gust of wind decides it shouldn't be on the roof!

Ray...enough...that's how much! Ever carry a sheet of plywood and have a small gust of wind come by? Enough...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Ray...enough...that's how much! Ever carry a sheet of plywood and have a small gust of wind come by? Enough...
    now multiply that number by your phone number and you will know the force acting on a sheet of plywood that are tie to the car top

Yea well, we can't all be the smartest man in the room. I wish it were more widely known that the smartest man in the room has to leave. That would leave me with all the scotch and women to myself. Now who's stupid?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Johnny Walker Blue or Bombay safire and Tonic is what I drink There is a sign but most of the "lot techs" as they call themselves stack pallets of concrete in front of them. The store also makes its lot techs take a class on loading a vehicle so they can claim we showed them the proper way so we are not liable. I can't tell you how many times I saw 10 sheets of plywood on top of a car tied down with twine. I would usulally tell them give me 10 minuets to go inside and make sure no-one from my family is on the road so you don't kill them. Another favorite was the guy with a ford ranger who wanted a pallet of bricks on the back and said these bricks only way five pounds "Yes sire five pounds per brick 720 to a pallet thats 3600 lbs or more than what your truck ways" put it on anyway I will spread the wait around. Again I argue with boss I refused to do it the boss did and the guy made it to the end of the parking lot and relized his front wheels were off the ground and couldn't turn his wheels, I left for lunch and wanted nothing to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Perrone View Post
    Johnny Walker Blue or Bombay safire and Tonic is what I drink There is a sign but most of the "lot techs" as they call themselves stack pallets of concrete in front of them. The store also makes its lot techs take a class on loading a vehicle so they can claim we showed them the proper way so we are not liable. I can't tell you how many times I saw 10 sheets of plywood on top of a car tied down with twine. I would usulally tell them give me 10 minuets to go inside and make sure no-one from my family is on the road so you don't kill them. Another favorite was the guy with a ford ranger who wanted a pallet of bricks on the back and said these bricks only way five pounds "Yes sire five pounds per brick 720 to a pallet thats 3600 lbs or more than what your truck ways" put it on anyway I will spread the wait around. Again I argue with boss I refused to do it the boss did and the guy made it to the end of the parking lot and relized his front wheels were off the ground and couldn't turn his wheels, I left for lunch and wanted nothing to do with it.
    and this were at low speed, what would his ranger do at high speed, wheelie ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    That' an NMP issue... Not My Problem. Once it leaves the store, it's up to the vehicle's driver to secure/control his load.

Of course, given enough negligence on the loader's part, the wrong judge, the right lawyer, etc., anything is possible.
    No kidding. The guy that installed a propane tank for me today told me of article in a trade magazine he gets. Some guy cut the lock off his natural gas meter after being cut off for non-payment. He ended up burning his house down as a result. Wins a 10 million dollar lawsuit, because the "lock wasn't strong enough to keep him from cutting it off". Should have never seen a court room, much less a ruling in his favor.

Did he use a Ryobi table saw to cut it off? he might be in the running for two settlements...

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin W Johnson View Post
    No kidding. The guy that installed a propane tank for me today told me of article in a trade magazine he gets. Some guy cut the lock off his natural gas meter after being cut off for non-payment. He ended up burning his house down as a result. Wins a 10 million dollar lawsuit, because the "lock wasn't strong enough to keep him from cutting it off". Should have never seen a court room, much less a ruling in his favor.

14. I have seen folks tying loads down with the survey tape they have to mark long loads. I had one incident myself picking up soil, the guy at the yard said he could put two meters in the back of the truck, silly me agreed. Driving home the steering seemed awfully light, I noticed in a window reflection that the front end rose up everytime I hit the gas, I swear I saw light under the tires but I may have been wrong, found out later that it was probably over two tons

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    you should replace the plane, after all it did not fly
    Yes it did
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty