Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What machine would you want from Santa.

Blog Entries
    I would be happy just to get a nice 6" jointer. Ok, a small CNC router would be nice too...and a 16" open end sander... and a small edge sander. Can't come up with just one $10K toy that I need that would fit in my shop.

Somebody here mentioned at one time they had or wanted a shop elf that looked like Jessica Alba.

Put me down for one of those

I will just ask Santa for a hand tool.

I'd like a mallet with a hickory handle and 6 ounce 24K solid gold malleable head.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Tsutsui View Post

I'd like a mallet with a hickory handle and 6 ounce 24K solid gold malleable head.
    Chris, I thought it would be a more quiet slider. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Tsutsui View Post

Creative but you may have a hard time convincin' Santa it is a machine... He is a stickler for definitions as I understand it.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    .... 1 machine ... $10K budget .... not stupid crazy ....

... I am in the wrong league... I got to find the $3K and under forum...
    +1 on that. I was thinking how nice a good dust collector would be, especially if the elves could hang around and rewire my garage shop. If I could have more than one machine in the $10K budget, a drum sander would be nice. Beyond those two, I'm pretty happy with what I've got. However, with $10K and no limit on the number of machines, one could outfit a really nice hobby shop with all new machines.

Merry Christmas to all.
    Last edited by Jim Rimmer; 12-21-2011 at 3:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    +1 on that. I was thinking how nice a good dust collector would be, especially if the elves could hang around and rewire my garage shop. If I could have more than one machine in the $10K budget, a drum sander would be nice. Beyond those two, I'm pretty happy with what I've got. However, with $10K and no limit on the number of machines, one could outfit a really nice hobby shop with all new machines.

Merry Christmas to all.

But Santa says 1, don't blame me, blame the fat man!

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

You guys better be careful--he might be reading. Santa got himself an iPhone!

Don't think $10K would be enough to get the Martin jointer/planer machine they just came out with. 20 inches of width, Martin quality. Long, wide tables. Guess I will have to settle for the Felder 16" machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    Don't think $10K would be enough to get the Martin jointer/planer machine they just came out with. 20 inches of width, Martin quality. Long, wide tables. Guess I will have to settle for the Felder 16" machine.
    I didn't know that we could use the words settle and Felder in the same sentence!!!!! I'd settle for a Felder combo saw/shaper any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Matzke View Post
    I didn't know that we could use the words settle and Felder in the same sentence!!!!! I'd settle for a Felder combo saw/shaper any day.
    Yep, words like Martin and Altendorf and Format 4 in a sentence make "settle for" appropriate preceeding Felder.

Which ever tool is the most expensive in the world. Then I could sell it and buy an all new shop with moderately priced tools (yet better than what I have) and maybe have money left over.

I would have to take a shop addition with $10k because I wouldn't know what to do with any one machine that cost over $1,500 new nor would it be a worthwhile investment for me. A laser engraver or CNC would probably be on my list if it had to be a tool. Merry Christmas everyone.

P.S. Santa already brought me a decent Radial Arm Saw, a quality Drill Press, and a whole bunch of Clamps, and some handheld sanders this month. So I'm good for now (this month).

Having more tools than I know how to use - Priceless!!!

I'd take a 5 HP shaper with 1 HP power feeder (that's all one tool right?) and tooling until I get up to the $10K.
    Wood'N'Scout

Since we are fantasizing, Santa could drop me off a time machine.

Would like to go back in time and work with my paternal grandfather (1876-1960) and my paternal great-grandfather (1838-1917). Both enjoyed a good reputation as fine builders and bee keepers. I would also like to talk with some of the builders that they knew, particularly the masons who built stone arch bridges, especially the double arch bridges.