Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A boxwood smooth plane I made in 1970

Nice, very.

Personally I still very much enjoy my LV soled Ulmia smoother. No other plane glides so nice over the wood. But it makes for a rather delcate plane, because the LV is brittle and damages easilly on the edges of the mouth.

I was wondering about the front tote on your plane. Is it modeled after planes like in Roubo's book? I see that the angled top is pointed to the back of the plane. On other continental planes like the Dutch 18th century fore and try planes, an equilly shaped tote is pointing forward. Would there be a thought behind that?

WOW! I am simply overcome. That is beautiful.
    George Beck
    Fishers Laser Carvers

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    As poor as response has been to some of my pictures,I'm thinking about not posting. It is a lot of trouble.
    Are you kidding me ? somebody or yourself....could write about about your career... and it would be an essential " must own " just as is the book The Essential Woodworker is. I suggest the title " George Wilson... 'nuff said "

Keep em coming, I look at every post of yours daily...

As poor as response has been to some of my pictures,I'm thinking about not posting. It is a lot of trouble.
    Say it's not so! I love seeing your work. In fact, I would be thrilled to see these (all pictures) collected in a book! (Complete with anectdotes.)

Mt. Juliet, TN, (15 miles east of Nashville)
    Mr Wilson, I'm relatively new to Sawmill Creek and thoroughly enjoy viewing pictures of your beautiful work and been urged to compliment you. This is my first reply. I resisted the urges to reply, as not to occupy your time reading from such an untrained person as myself, unfortunately having no noticeable ability in "the arts". Please continue to honor us with your wonderfull works of art.I am presently reviewing the past 400 or so past messages and learning fast. Best regards, have a wonderful vacation and hope your knee improves. Don Reneau

Mt. Juliet, TN, (15 miles east of Nashville)
    Mr. Wilson, please continue to share your wonderful works with us. As to the "poor Response", I have been inclined to compliment you directly but resisted the
    urges as to not waste your time reading from a neophite as myself. Believe me your pictures and wonderful comments are enjoyed more than you'll ever know.
    Best regards, have a wonderful vacation and we hope your knee improves. Respectfully Don Reneau

Dont even think about stopping George. Your work is too important to keep hidden from others. On a personal note you have inspired me to reach for the next level of competancy with my hand tool skills. I have also learnt by better understanding your own methodology that an indepth knowledge towards your subject can deliver an outcome that can far exceeds expectations. Stewie,

I am sure that viewing, scanning and posting is very time consuming. But please, please show us your work. It is very inspirational and an education in what can be achieved, even to a gross amateur like me. Thank you for sharing this with us.
    Barry Mabery

Very nice flow in that plane! Bet he was very pleased with your gift.

Beautiful work! I would love to see some other views if they can be unearthed from your files. The form and detailing are classic; the finish, museum quality. The pictures of your projects are more than appreciated here, George - they're more like devoured by me and everyone else. Likewise, any time you contribute comments in a thread I always tend to give them more attention than others. Your expertise is what makes SMC such an incredible resource and the standards you demonstrate raise the bar for us all. Spoken or unspoken, you have a huge number of people here paying close attention and who have come to rely on you to show us the way.

That is good to know,David. I appreciate all of you guy's kind remarks.

I am sure I have no other pictures of the plane. Too bad. The top of the plane had some carving on it.

Mr Wilson
    I agree with all these people as to the value of your posts and comments. There are several people within the creek that are the top of the field, and of course you and your work are one of them.Hopefully with new technology it is easier to post. Not that I have figured out how yet. I to would like to see the book or the movie of all you have done.
    Don

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )
    George:

As others have said - PLEASE continue to post pictures of your work ! I know it can be a pain, but I (and not just I ) thoroughly appreciate both your work and comments. Inspiring and insightful to say the least. You are truly a Master..

George,

Please write a book!
    I'm sure that the others agree with me that your work is amazing.

Blog Entries
    The plane is gorgeous George!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.