Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: How to season a cast iron skillet

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    What's this "lean bacon" of which you speak?

I can see that some of my brethren are at the Creek...I asked because I was the butt of a few jokes when a restaurant some of us were at served "crisp" bacon and "limp" bacon. I was the only one who chose the latter.

When my kids were little, they called it slimy bacon. That was how their gramma cooked it.

Just in time for Christmas, for all of my fellow bacon freaks . . .

http://www.baconfreak.com/bacon-novelties-gifts.html

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Thinking about putting my big wire cup on on my 7 inch grinder and make it smooth and re season it.
    Which may not be all that bad of an idea .
    These newer CI skillets aren't as smooth as they could be.

I just had to reseason my 10" CI skillet.
    *Somebody* in the house stuck it in the sink and it got covered up with dirty dishes and dirty detergent/water for a couple of days...grrrr,,,I won't tell you who she is,,,

Anyhow - after a half hour of scouring & three brillo pads, I started thinking real hard about the ROS and some coarse wet/dry.

Thankfully, it didn't come to that.
    I smeared it with Criso after the ordeal of the scouring, stuck it in a 450 degree oven until it "smoked", then shut the oven off and let it cool down w/the pan inside.
    A few batches of some oil fried stuff and it was ready to brown some ground beef - which it passsed that test w/flying colors.
    I may give it the "hash brown" test today & if it does well there, I repeat the "hash brown" test a few time.

Then it's time for the ultimate test.
    The "sunny side up egg" test.

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    Just in time for Christmas, for all of my fellow bacon freaks . . .

http://www.baconfreak.com/bacon-novelties-gifts.html
    I'll wait till after Christmas, but I really need a couple of those shirts. I really like the, "Bacon is a Vegetable" one.
    Neat website.

When I got a new grill with cast iron plates I just fired up our turkey fryer and soacked them in there for a while.

I have been seasoning cast iron for many years, including dutch ovens. The best way is to get your gas grill (check temperature with a thermometer) up to 490-500 degrees F, rub on an even coat of vegetable oil or shortening, cook it for 1 hour at that temperature, then turn the grill off and let it cool until you can touch it with your hand. Repeat 3 times and you have a well-seasoned cast iron skillet or pot. Wagner-ware says to heat it at 500 degrees F for 1 hour. I try to clean it out right after use and only us a hot water soak for 15 minutes if I must to clean hard grime off the cast iron. Don't forget to dry it right after cleaning it and put a fresh coat of Crisco oil on it to keep it from rusting.

I always use Peanut oil on a new one. With use it will build its own, but the first time through the oven with a good coating of peanut oil (higher temps I believe, than veggie oil)