Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My finest humidor yet.

Bill, I don't get over in the Project's Forum often, but stopped by and noticed this thread!! This is an unbelievable piece! Just some fantastic work - you are a Master Craftsman, without doubt!

What John K said.
    Fred

WOW! Surely you don't expect to have a "critique" on such work. AH, WOOD, GOD"S second most beautiful creation...And YOU made it BETTER!

WOW .... that is all. Do you sell you're humidors?

Bill, that's some really wonderful craftsmanship, that even a non-smoker can appreciate!! bravo!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    You guys are too kind, thanks so very much. Many of my ideas and methods used, are adaptations of work posted here. So thank you all too.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Blog Entries
    I do sell them but in the end, I put way more time into them than I charge. Thank goodness my clients are patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Palmer View Post
    WOW .... that is all. Do you sell you're humidors?

Yes Bill that would have to be true. In one of the books on making money doing wood work your skill would start at about $50 an hour. Probably a lot more. 500 hours times 5o comes out to be about $ 25000 a box. I hope you are getting that.

Blog Entries
    I've been meaning to, just can't find a customer willing to pay that much. Maybe if I offer to fill it with cuban cigars.
    Last edited by Bill Wyko; 01-03-2012 at 7:49 PM.

I thought the title might be stretching it coming from you Bill. Although all your work is stunning I must say based on the ones you have posted the title is absolutely correct. You craftsmanship is truely amazing.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Blog Entries
    Everything I build is practice for the next one. In this case, using automotive clear coat really upped the finish. I was able to get it very flat w/o sanding through (Too much) Lets see if the Koa one I have to do next will top this one.

I don't know your source of wood, but when I bought Kao it was like gold. So my point is that the wood alone will up your value of the box. Have you looked at some of the boxes by the Lydgates, native son's of Hawaii? There Kao and other wood combinations might give you some different ideas you might not have thought of.

Beautiful work Bill.

Just got back from Cuba ( Christmas and Newyears there) with a good assortment of cigars that we'll be giving as gifts, and I'll be building a few humidors to put them in.
    I have some heavily quilted Maple that I will be using but so far I am at a loss as to where to get the Spanish Cedar for the interior other than woodworkers supply.
    Was wondering if you could list some of your sources for the Cedar as well as the Humidifier etc.
    John

Blog Entries
    I'll check out the Lydgates right away. As far as spanish cedar goes, I just get it from Woodworkers Source here in Tucson. I buy so much stuff there that I get 100bd ft pricing on everything. The Koa is from an e-bay seller, Sherean Satram. The humidor is actually for him. I did some horse trading for more veneer and a little money for the humidor. The Maple burl on this humidor came from him too. A while back I also did some trading with a friend here in Tucson that had bought up all the veneer that was left from Leer Jet when they closed up. I must have over 2000sq ft of veneer. I'm always up for some trading 8-)

Blog Entries
    Is the person you speak of Tony Lydgate? Did he author the book "The art of making small wood boxes" I'm going to have to order that book, looks interesting.

Yes that is who I am talking about. But there is a web site with about 2 dozen of his boxes on it. If you want I will send you the site.