Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photo touchup software

Photo touchup software

What's everyone using to touch up their photography? I see Photoshop Elements is about 70 bucks as a download from the big A. Does anyone use it and is it difficult to learn? Most importantly does it help adjust your photography if the original picture is decent? Is there freeware available that works will suit a turners needs for clear photography. I am sure none can make a silk purse from a sows ear but assuming you have taken a decent picture with diffused lighting.
    faust
    Last edited by Faust M. Ruggiero; 01-03-2012 at 9:33 PM. Reason: correct misspelling

Faust,

Photoshop is a great program, but can be pricey. However, there is an open-source program that is similar to Photoshop out there that you can download and use for free. It is called GIMP. Here is the link:

http://www.gimp.org/

It works well, but may take a little getting used to. You will have to download the manual seperately. Good luck and have fun.

Allen
    Allen

I've been using Photoshop Elements 3 for many years, and it does everything I need since I'm not into heavy manipulations. Gimp is not easy to master quickly, and another free download program I do recommend is IrfanView. Google it for a download source.

I have used gimp and several other open source photo editing software. If you shoot RAW images what I like best is Adobe Lightroom 3.5 easy to use and very effective and non destructive. But I am no expert I just have good results. It can be pricy but see it on sale from time to time for about $169

Alan

I have been using PhotoShop for many years, now using PhotoShop CS5.

For some things I use IrfanView or the SnagIt editor.
    Last edited by Alan Zenreich; 01-03-2012 at 10:46 PM.
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

I have PS Elements 8, it does everything I need to do with jpegs, but it doesn't work as well with raw images unless it's a small crop. But it does quite a bit for the relatively low price. I have heard of Gimp, but have never tried it. There are some tutorial videos for Photoshop Elements, not sure if there are for some of the others mentioned. I mostly just use the resize, adjust brightness and contrast, and sometimes color adjustments, but it will do much more.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Photoshop Elements 9
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Blog Entries
    GIMP is great, but it can have a steep learning curve... I prefer Paint.NET. Also free, closer to Photoshop in ability and style of action, supports PS plug-ins, etc.
    http://getpaint.net
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

FastStone Image Viewer 4.6 will do it all, and it is free. I use a PE for a quick fix on my pics, but I use FastStone for alignment and resizing, as well as playing with white balance at times. It would do everything PE will do with the exception of layer work, creating TIFF images, etc. - some of which I need for my website. Were it not for the website, I would not really need PE.

Adobe Lightroom- one of the best photo editing softwares on the market.

I use them all because none of them do it all. GIMP is a great budget Photoshop inspired tool.....but for basic edits you do not need $600 software such as PS etc.

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.
    Paint.net downloadable free here: http://www.getpaint.net/ (top right corner. Dont download Babylon on the large download button). Easy and simple.

Thanks for all the replies. It is great to have a group of people willing to share experiences. I will look over them all and take a whack at the free ones before buying something I may not use.
    faust

You can go to the Adobe web site and they have a 30 day free trial of Lightroom. After using all that have been mentioned I took the 30 day free test drive. I ended up buying Lightroom. Its hard to explain it just works better. If you do not like the software, with the free trial you lost nothing except some time.

Alan

Thanks Alan. I will check it out right now.
    faust

As someone who has been using Photoshop for well over a decade, I will always suggest people looking for a free/cheap editor try the Gimp. It is a fair argument that it is a bit of overkill for a few simple photo tweaks. But the same argument could be made about turning a bottle stopper on a Powermatic.

With that being said, Ken is right in saying that Adobe Lightroom is great and a very enjoyable program to use. It is one of those programs that you can become very comfortable with very quickly. But if you're not in the place where you want to buy the program when your demo is up, I would go ahead and download the Gimp and use what you've learned from LR to get the hang of it. There really aren't any free alternatives to what Lightroom is that are worth your time. Picasa had potential as a something to use for everyday photo editing, but the focus shifted from quality to Google integration.
    Good luck.