Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ambrosia Maple bowl

Ambrosia Maple bowl

Well, we (DAMP) showed you the recent Ambrosia Maple tree that we cut up. It was a beaut! Look at my avatar...yeeeeeaaaahhhh. Anyway, it was a tree on my neighbor's property. I begged him for the tree...promising him a turning from each of the four of us. Here is the bowl I turned for my neighbors.

Dimensions are 11.25" x 4.25" with pretty darn consistent 1/2" walls. Poly finish. I plan to buff the bowl at Tony's this weekend.

All comments are most certainly welcome...even if you hate it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I drink, therefore I am.

Looks pretty sweet Mike!

btw, one of you guys needs to swing in here and grab a few burls.....

Awesome bowl Mike! I love the bead on your rim, super nice! That's some nice maple! Well done on the WOP too!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

I'm trying as hard as I can, but I can see absolutely nothing to hate about this bowl. Beautiful shape, finish, and wood. Great job.
    "a noble spirit embiggins the smallest man"

I'm with Mark, no hate here. Like the rim, the wood is wild, and the finish is glossy enough to burn a hole in the camera if you arent' careful.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Well, I was really miffed that one of my dogs woke me up at 4:30 in the morning to get let out (I let her out about 11 pm or so...she shouldn't have had to go so soon...). But all these nice comments have made me quite a bit less cranky.

You know, I really ended up liking the shape on this one, too. Sorry I couldn't get a better profile shot of it. Don't have a photo tent set up yet...still using my Table Saw extension table.

And the beads of the rim were actually kinda fun to make. I don't have a beading too, so I was just winging it.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Looks awesome. I love to turn ambrosia maple because of the streaks. That one is loaded. Any pics of the bottom side??

wooooweeeee, now that's an eye-popper.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Wow... your neighbor is going to love it!! Very nice work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Great bowl, Mike!! And, you are right - the wood is superb.

Donny, yes, I do have pics of the bottom. But when I signed it, I also put their names and their address (well the road anyway...so they will always remember where it came from, even when/if they move) on the bowl. It felt odd to display their info publicly. Sorry... I will say that the bottom has no foot. There is a concave anti-foot depression that is about 4" in diameter on the bottom.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Michelle, Steve, and John... yeah the wood is fantastic. I figure, until I really start honing my skills, picking really striking wood is my best friend.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Not too bad.
    Tony

"Soldier On"

14. Great form on this bowl, Mike.......super finish, and when you have that nice of a piece of wood to work with it really makes for an eye popper! I think Tony, Peter and Dan are gonna have to step up their game a little in order to compete! Now that ought to put the pressure on 'em for ya!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Dang...you DAMP'rs got some superb wood. That piece just rocks from all angles. The shot I like best is the one in lower left, it has the ambrosia forming a pattern that looks like a tree that opens up to it's canopy. Maybe I didn't get enough sleep too...but this is a beautiful piece.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!