Thread: Dubby sled

Question Dubby sled

I am considering buying the dubby double sled.Those of you who have the dubby after setting up sled how easy is it to set for 90 or 45 or any angle.For repeatable cut lenghts are you satisfied with the results.I am not interested in building my own but I do want try and avoid any buyers remorse as we all do.I have looked at the inline site and I have talked to Jerry,but real field use and comments cannot be beat.Thanks in advance for any replies

I own a "Dubby" and kick my butt for not buying one earlier. I thought that that was too money to spend on a jig I could make myself, till I owned one. Once set, it's dead on! Jerry demonstrates them at the Woodworking Shows. Truly amazing to watch his demo's. Each unit comes with A DVD showing set up and types of cuts it will do. About once a year, I rewatch the DVD, to refresh my old brain on what all it can do, and how easily. Once, just for fun I made a SEVEN side frame (easy with a Dubby,) just because I could. Either buy, or make a drop off table to support the waste.

Dubby Sled

On my Dubby there is a fine threaded screw for 90 degree cut adjustment. There is no similar adjustment for 45 degree cuts, although its very easy to tweek for an accurate cut. The cross cut stops and their ability to make very fine adjustments is what I use all the time . I something happened I would buy another in an instant!

Blog Entries
    I have one and rarely use it after getting my Kreg miter gauge. Common angles like 45' or 22.5 are much easier and accurate on the Kreg than the Dubby. If you want a odd number of sides then the Dubby is great, but in my experience those don't come up too often. I find that the thickness of the lines on the angle setting strip are wide enough that you can't get tight joints without fussing and multiple cuts despite the demos at the woodworking shows where they are cutting very short pieces out of pine. The miter gauge is about the same cost as a Dubby and more useful IMO.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks for replies,If I get the right impression 90's easy to set and other angles a cursor is used such as what we have on a table saw is that correct?.I live in northern mi. and Jerry will not be coming to Detroit

I bought one 18 years ago love them and bought new ones with the aluim rails(I had the frist ones that were all wood) would not be without them in my shop.

Any comments on how the Inline Dubby compares to the Rockler Crosscut Sled? Is it a direct clone, or are there improvements/tweaks that make it worth considering?

Who else has the JoinTech SmartMiter? It has served me accurately for about 8 years now. I like the fact that you can swing the fence to any angle and not have to move it toward or away from the blade, no matter what angle you are cutting.

Quote Originally Posted by Monte Milanuk View Post
    Any comments on how the Inline Dubby compares to the Rockler Crosscut Sled? Is it a direct clone, or are there improvements/tweaks that make it worth considering?
    You are comparing a Volvo to a Yugo. Rockler's is a cheap imitation of the genuine article.

Keep in mind that you need two sleds. One for the left side and one for the right. That ramps the price up considerably. If your mainly doing 45 deg miters, a dedicated sled is a better choice.

Mitch

Bruce,

Would you care to expound on that i.e. what exactly is better about the Inline version vs. what was cheapened in the Rockler version?

Thanks,

Monte

Quote Originally Posted by Monte Milanuk View Post
    Bruce,

Would you care to expound on that i.e. what exactly is better about the Inline version vs. what was cheapened in the Rockler version?

Thanks,

Monte
    Several here and on other forums returned Rockler units, so that's why my answer. Haven't heard of anybody returning a Dubby. Ask how many own Rockler's version?

I USA the JoinTech for all mitering. I use my Jessem slider for all 90s. The Jointech is accurate to half a degree in both directions and has a nice stop as well.

I bought my dubby almost 20 years and it is one of the most valued jigs in my shop. The edges are now chewed up pretty good but no less accurate. Any angle is easy to find and repeats are reliable. The lines on the scale are thick as someone mentioned but all you have to do is set the fence just like it is set up at 90. In my case right where the white field meets the black line, on the edge. Get a good crosscutting blade and you will have airtight joints. I set it up when I got it and haven't touched it since. By contrast, I also have an Excalibur sliding table which is much better for larger work like book shelves, but I've had to recalibrate every other year or so. The dubby has never been touched since I bought it and is just as accurate as the day I set it up.
    A little off topic, a lot of other stuff on his website is great too. PALS and aline-it kit if you have a contractors saw are a must. You won't believe how easy it is to set your blade and rip fence up to within .000 of perfect accuracy. The saw blades he sells I have not tried but given his track record with everything else I've tried, I would guess they are high quality.

I have incra sleds and like them just fine. If I was doing it over I would look closer at the Jointech because I really like the idea of not having to move the fence when changing angles. I also have a Dubby cross taper cut sled and have only good things to say about it and therefore would also be looking into the Dubby sled as well.