Thread: Travel Mug Inserts

Travel Mug Inserts

Wondering if anyone uses something other than plastic or stainless. My wife would like a ceramic or glass insert but I'm not sure where to get one.

If you use stainless who do you think makes the best one? For people other than my wife
    Last edited by Brent Dorner; 01-13-2012 at 12:01 PM.

I have just started to attempt travel mugs. I have only seen the stainless inserts thus far so from that aspect I won't be much help. I did find out that according to my local woodcraft they have discontinued the stainless one they used to sell and I have not seen it on their website either. I bought a handful from craftsupplies usa and they seem to be rather reasonable both in price and quality.

good luck with the search for ceramic or glass.

I only use stainless steel and stay away from the plastic. I just think they look cheap. I have been buying my SS liners from Hobby Lobby lately. I have never seen a ceramic liner. Seems like it would get kind of heavy. Good luck.

I get my SS liners from Hobby Lobby also but never seen any ceramic anywhere.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Just View Post
    I only use stainless steel and stay away from the plastic. I just think they look cheap. I have been buying my SS liners from Hobby Lobby lately. I have never seen a ceramic liner. Seems like it would get kind of heavy. Good luck.
    My wife and I both have one of those ss "canisters"... The ones that where so popular the last few years. They do smell like metal (obviously) and she doesn't like the way the water taste. I have seen ceramic coffee cups like the one you would get at starbucks, I think they have a rubber cap or something. I will probably make them out of ss, just trying to find something to please her for the one I would make her.

I get mine from here. http://www.smoothturning.com/shop/ I met Brodie at the Richmond Symposium. I have never seen a ceramic insert.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I have not made any travel mugs, but in the Menard's sales circular from Wednesday's paper was ceramic coffee mugs for $4. The photos were kind of funky colors, but the shape was right and only the rim and lid would show. I thought I might pick up a fewand see if I couldn't improve the looks with a little wood.

Hobby Lobby with 40% discount coupon....