Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Couple of Rooke Turners

Bax,
    I'm green with envy. My son has had a love affair with cars since he was old enough to walk. He has never had as much as one second when he wanted to be in the shop with me. I haven't given up hope, though. My daughter has a little son. Maybe he will enjoy woodwork. I surely have the place and tools for him.
    faust

Baxter turns a bowl......49.95
    Your kids turn a bow.......... Priceless !!!

My daughter turned a pen last year for her teacher. I had alot mor fun than her. She still hangs out while i turn. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Fagen View Post
    They must be at the age where Dad is getting smarter,I'm still waiting.
    you are gonna wait along time for that to happen

Very cool Baxter...the joy must have been all yours! Congrats on such a fun time with the family in the shop. They are in good hands!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Very cool Baxter. I wish my son was interested in turning. It actually kinda funny to think that when he was in High School shop, he turned a couple small bowls and showed an interest and I used that as a partial justification to buy the lathe and extras. After I got "set up" he was done with shop class and not interested in the lathe at all! I looked at it as a kinda bummer.....but more lathe time for me!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Congrats on getting the kids to join you in the shop. I am hoping my son will join me in the shop, but college age boys have other interests! I'd feel better about all my tool purchases if I thought I could pass them on to him someday.

Life doesn't get much better than that! Fine looking kids, and the smiles say everything.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Looks like the vortex just sucked two more in, great job.

Blog Entries
    Always great when turning can become a family affair. My only concern is your daughters sleeves being so baggy. Don't want any articles of clothing getting caught in a spinny thing.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Thanks again!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Fagen View Post
    They must be at the age where Dad is getting smarter.......
    Unfortunately, Dad is getting to the age where just the opposite is happening! I am not exactly a rookie at proofreading so you might think I would remember to do it for the title before posting. I have figured out how to edit a post and fix a typo, but haven't mastered the "fix a title"part yet. Anyone who has mastered that, care to share?

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    ........I have hoped my kids would take an interest in woodworking, and finally one of the boys turned a bowl. I hope to post about it in a few days. Not much is more gratifying than to have one's children share an interest.
    So true John! I am looking forward to your post!

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Martin View Post
    Now, that is fantastic, not one, but two! Life is good isn't it. Just this weekend, I spent a little time with my 5 year old grandson at the lathe, he only had one hand on the tool while I was turning, but the gleam in his eyes behind the face shield was awesome.
    Someday I may do that with my 3 year old great nephews who are with us during the school day. For now, they just get to use the shovel and broom. They are getting pretty good at it. Almost half goes where its suppose to!
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust M. Ruggiero View Post
    Bax,
    I'm green with envy. My son has had a love affair with cars since he was old enough to walk. He has never had as much as one second when he wanted to be in the shop with me. I haven't given up hope, though. My daughter has a little son. Maybe he will enjoy woodwork. I surely have the place and tools for him.
    faust
    You never know when a persons interests will change Faust. My sons interest is computers. He would far rather put those together than swing a hammer. Fortunately he is willing to help out the "old man" from time to time!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Nuckles View Post
    Congrats on getting the kids to join you in the shop. I am hoping my son will join me in the shop, but college age boys have other interests! I'd feel better about all my tool purchases if I thought I could pass them on to him someday.
    My kids used to argue about who's going to be stuck with all Dads wood.(That was before I started turning) Now its who's going to be stuck with Dad's roughed out bowls.

A couple of good looking bowls and a couple of good looking kids! Just watch that they don't get too interested and take over the shop !
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Great family and great pictures of the work produced. They do seem to have a talent. Are you sure they haven't been turning behind your back?
    "Count your age by friends, Count your life by smiles."

This is GREAT stuff and you are a good leader!!!

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Cool beans Baxter! Turning is a magical thing, glad to see you're passing it around to the ones that matter
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein