Thread: Picture Frame

Picture Frame

This frame is one of two. The second one was in fine shape and finished in a gold paint. Not great looking but serviceable. Its twin, this one didn't fare so well when it got caught in a flood and was quite damaged. The joints were very loose, splits, carving missing etc. Generally a mess. So I broke the frame apart, did all the repairs, re-mitered the joints and fitted it all back together.
    I'd show more photos but for some reason I can't get them to load. But here is a glimpse of the condition of the frame and the finish I applied. It's a deep Burgundy with black faded into it from the borders. I did the small beading in gloss black and applied Gold to the remaining carved areas with an antiquing glaze over it. The clients were quite surprised at the outcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Woodworking Studio

Nice job. Love the burgundy and black shading! It's really great to see such interesting frames restored.

Chuck

Thank you Chuck! Yes, some of these frames are beautiful in their own right. In some cases more beautiful than the art work they hold.
    I thought the burgundy with the shading , along with the gold trim was a tasteful touch. Seemed to give it a certain richness I think.
    The Woodworking Studio